Technical New owner, old questions :)

Currently reading:
Technical New owner, old questions :)

Jules Sei

Hello all,

I've recently bought a 1998 Seicento Sporting Abarth and have been reading through the forum. Very impressed with the friendliness and good advice.

I have seen the excellent how to change the timing belt and have a couple of questions.

I have a leak from the water pump, and having decided to change it, I have bought a water pump and a timing kit from euro parts.

Is there anything I should know about changing the pump ?

Also the heater fan does nothing ! Is this a simple fix or more complex investigation required ?

And finally, I also need to change the rear gearbox/engine mount, anyone done this and could give me some instruction.

Considering the car cost me less than 200 quid with 11 months MOT, 4 months tax and has only done 52K, I'm not complaining.

Cheers

Jules

Last edited:
howdy :)

when you fit the new pump you will need some instant gasket type stuff to seal round the edges.

heater fan.. i'd start at the fuses for that!

rear gearbox mount is easy, place a jack under there next to the mounts 'arm / mounting plate' and jack it up slighty just to take the load off the mount, then it's just a couple of bolts. note which way up it is, the mount can be installed upside down!

From memory, I think the fan did work at one point, but now it does nothing on any switch setting.

I had a quick look at the fuse the cover says controls the heater and it looks ok.

Can anyone confirm exactly which number the fuse concerned is.

Also I notice the cig lighter does not work, Same fuse?

Check the maxi fuses behind the battery, (engine bay) too. I have an idea that one of those may supply current to the ciggy lighter and fan fuses.

Checked the maxi fuse and all four are ok.

Used a meter on the cig lighter plug, get three volts when lights are on but no twelve :(

Anyone any further thoughts ?

The cig lighter only works when the engine is running, i.e. when the ignition switch is 'on', heater fan is the same I think...

Cheers for the input Pepo, appreciated, but I was aware of that.

The fan and lighter are both on fuse number 24 under RHD steering wheel according to handbook...

Noel

Back