General New owner of Seicento question..

Currently reading:
General New owner of Seicento question..

Hiya , have just taken ownership of my wifes lovely seicento and have a few questions if anyone can advise please.. :)

its a 1998 0.9 sx in lovely shiny black , has done 67k.

Have just had oil change and put air filter in myself today and noted that the pipe connected to it (not sure what it is , sorry!) had a lot of black sludge at the end of the pipe. was wondering what caused this , and if it needs sorting would it be better to buy new pipe and where could I buy one?

also on her last MOT they said the Back plate was corroded , how bad is this actually and what is a back plate?

finally on the cylinder head there is loads of oil over it , what would normally cause this?? could that was is causing the slight burning smell after driving it for a while?

Thats all the questions cheers , must say its really fun to drive after driving a big astra , and really happy that a 12 year old car seems to be getting about 45 miles to the gallon :)

Cheers
Ste

The black sludge and the oil on the cylinder head could be to do with crankcase pressure or a blocked air filter.

Clean the inlet pipe, no need to buy new, make sure the rocker breather isn't blocked and clean the old oil off the engine.

Keep an eye on it from now on and see what develops.

Back plate is the bit that holds the brake shoes on. New ones are not too expensive.

If the handbrake works, get a lottery ticket.

If its a bit weak then do a rear brake overhaul.

Cheers

SPD

I did notice however when driving this morning that a spark plug like warning light on the dashboard to left of lights switched on indicator kept randomly coming on and off after about 15 mins into the journey with the odd slight loss of power when accelerating . I dropped it off at garage to have back plate sorted and they said it could be something to do with the SPI but am awaiting answer on this!

I did notice on the pipes from the air filter that the rubber is pretty corroded and looks almost like its about to split , would duct tape around this be an easy fix?

Cheers!
Ste

I did notice on the pipes from the air filter that the rubber is pretty corroded and looks almost like its about to split , would duct tape around this be an easy fix?

you will get one of them pipes from a scrapyard for a couple of quid. I wouldnt use tape on it personally as it could get sucked in to the tb then god knows what will happen then but thats just my personal opinion

and welcome to the forum

you will get one of them pipes from a scrapyard for a couple of quid. I wouldnt use tape on it personally as it could get sucked in to the tb then god knows what will happen then but thats just my personal opinion

and welcome to the forum

i had a tiny spilt, i just filled that area up with instant gasket and it was fine. but if you could get a better conditioned one then that's the prefered choice.

Ming

The light you are seeing is the engine management light. When the ECU sees something it doesn't understand it will put the system into limp mode, reducing power and reducing maximum available revs.

It will be a sensor thats getting some wrong info, so a quick diagnostic will soon tell which one, and whether its an induction air leak thats causing it.

Cheers

SPD

cheers for the info , shall find out later whats up with Spike...!

And glad to join this forum , seem nice and freindly and all good learning process for me doing up the car to as best as I can , at the moment my skills are limited to changing air filter , plugs and ht leads!

S

Welcome i thought id just mention if you have the time to read previous threads there is almost everything that you need to know here these guys have helped me out loads on many occasions

cheers for the info , shall find out later whats up with Spike...!

And glad to join this forum , seem nice and freindly and all good learning process for me doing up the car to as best as I can , at the moment my skills are limited to changing air filter , plugs and ht leads!

S

Don't worry, we will have you doing all the work on your car whatever is needed.

Cheers

SPD

Thanks , already started tonight replacing plugs , which wifey hasnt changed since 2004 , cylinders one and three had dusty white deposits on the top and 2 and four were clean . should help it out no doubt!

just need to get some HT leads now , halfords kindly didnt stock any seicento ones but seen some bosch ones on ebay for 16.96 delivered quid ish , or could get unbranded ones for £10.31...

Thanks , already started tonight replacing plugs , which wifey hasnt changed since 2004 , cylinders one and three had dusty white deposits on the top and 2 and four were clean . should help it out no doubt!

just need to get some HT leads now , halfords kindly didnt stock any seicento ones but seen some bosch ones on ebay for 16.96 delivered quid ish , or could get unbranded ones for £10.31...

Just get halfords brand leads, cinq/sei ones would do :).

Ming

Last edited:
Thats spooky when I was at garage last night chatting to the guy about warning light the first thing he said was "its probably the coil pack that needs changing".....

On plus side car is running tonnes better now this morning and no warning light (then again half the time i cant see the dash as the top of the steering wheel blocks the dash as am rather tall :p

Back