New motherboard, worse performance

Currently reading:
New motherboard, worse performance

Right then, Eklipze3k, dombooth, ChrisUK, see if you guys can work this out.

Recently upgraded my motherboard from a ASUS P8H61-M motherboard which was giving me a WER of this;

WER.png

To this with a ASRock P67 Pro3...

WER2.png

Its worth noting, that no other hardware was changed, just the motherboard and memory. :bang::bang:

Intel i3 3.3ghz processor, ASUS GT440 Graphics card, 16gb (4x4gb) Vengance 1800mhz

Last edited:
Reinstall of Windows is completely unessential. I went from my last rig which was an "AMD 64 X2, nvidia nforce chipset, old Radeon" to my Intel I5, Intel Chipset and leading edge radeon and twin SSD's with no issue at all.

RusZ I'm guessing your problem is lack of appropriate storage controller driver / wrong mode selected in BIOS.

Can you confirm Sata Mode is AHCI / Enhanced mode is enabled (some bios call it different things).

I got 5.9 even on my SATA3 SSD's until I installed the Intel "Matrix Storage" manager.

The graphics is a little bit more of a mystery, I'm guessing again it's chip-set driver issue for the PCI-E controller. Fully uninstall any drivers from control panel and re-install from motherboard website. make sure you get everything. Are you on Teamviewer? I could probably sort it in 30-45 minutes.

Last edited:
Also bear in mind that although SATA3 allows 6Gbits a second so theoretically 750MB of Data a second, a mechanical disk will never be able to read/output anything near that. Even if you have a SSD drive that can read at 480MB/s then that will only just about max out a SATA 2 connection (375MB/s). so moving to SATA3 would not have a massive effect on transfer rates.

2 x SDD in a RAID stripped format would increase that number a lot ;)

Agree with Chris, windows install will not be needed, but I suggest that you do, due to the difference in drivers for each board.

I note your graphics shared memory has increased, maybe that has led to the lower number, also states you are running one screen now and not two...... Very confusing figures!!

TallTom,

Im confused by the graphics memory too.

As for the screen, while I had the PC in parts I was running 1 monitor instead of my usual dual setup, purely ease of use due to lack of needing the second monitor while doing installs :p

I've decided to go the fresh instal route, make sure all the drivers are in order.

As for the SATA speeds, I'm using a OCZ SSD that has read & write speeds of 525mb/s and I've just had a second delivered to me. So have 2x 90gb 525mb/s SSD's

Even if I didn't the rating has still decreased from 6.9 to 5.9 with the same drive. :confused:

As for the graphics memory I'm not sure how it works on nVidia drivers but they quite often 'earmark' a portion of your system RAM for extra graphics memory when your card's running low. How it allocates this amount I'm not sure, in the ATI drivers on the low end cards you can select how much you want to allocate.

I'm guessing the nVidia one does it dynamically based on the amount of system ram in the machine.

Sorted :slayer: did a clean install.

Back upto WER of 6.8 which is the GPU restriction :eek:

But the Processor is interesting, the Processor rating is lower than before... Im guess this is to do with the different chipset.. @dombooth that sound right?

Would have expected the memory to do better to, going from 6gb 1333mhz to 16gb 1800mhz.
:(

Might overclock the CPU to 3.5ghz, heard the i3 does this quite easily (have a huge cooling fan btw) but apparently 3.7ghz isn't unheard of from the i3 3.3ghz which I have

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Back