General New member, new owner

Currently reading:
General New member, new owner

Gordini

Hi all

New owner here, just registered so I can hopefully share any useful information and mine the collective superknowledge on here for tips, etc.

We picked up our 1.2 Pop on Tuesday, and it's perfect!

Piccy of "Gordini" here. Just need new wheels now (we didn't like any of the options, so went for steelies):

500-1.jpg

Hi Gordini

Nice to see you on here. You obviously followed my link! The man who got cheaper insurance is on here too. I think you can guess who I am by now?

What's the verdict and first impressions of ownership then?

Ex DC!

Hi, and thanks for the link - it makes sense to register on here, as no doubt the depth of knowledge will be greater, as it's more focused.

The other half decided on the name for the car, which is quite fitting really, particularly for a woman! :D

I haven't driven it much, but the Mrs uses it all the time. It can fit a whole week's shopping in the boot, which is a pleasant surprise.

I snuk out a couple of nights ago, and found out that the hazards come on if you try late braking. So try not to alarm the other road users. It's nice and nippy, but of course it's no Grale. Cool dashboard as well.

Everyone who has seen it wants one now!

Did you go for ESP? That seems to be recommendedc on here and I didn't :(

What were you getting at with hazards and late braking?

ESP - as in traction control? Not needed for a 1.2! You'll get a little bit of wheelspin turning out of a junction onto a road if you're at standstill pointing up a hill, but that will happen with any FWD car.

The hazards thing: if you do "threshold braking", as you would a a race circuit, the 500 thinks you're doing an emergency stop, so the hazard lights come on automatically. I guess it's a "safety feature" to warn cars behind you, e.g. if you have to suddently brake when seeing an accident on the motorway, it will warn the cars behind you.

Therefore, you can't totally rag it down the lanes, but you can drive it spiritedly.

Aww that looks gorgeous....nice and early delivery:eek:

The hazards are panic braking, it's to do with suddenly braking on eg a motorway...I usually put my hazards on manually when I see the traffic slowing ahead, but Fiat have implemented an additional feature where if the Brake Assists detects 'panic braking' it automatically engages the hazards.

It's a bit like the brake assist on a merc where 90% of people who panic brake don't use enough force due to the natural instinctive reaction of the human body to curl up in response to danger rather than stretch out, so the computer detects this and applies maximum braking force....more, apparently, than a human, however stong, is capable of.

So, I think this is also the case in the brake assist for fat but they added auto hazard... the more safety features the better IMO(y)

Ah I see, I didn't read hazards as hazard lights! Makes sense now. I think people are thinking about the unexpected as a safety feature with the ESP.

I see you've been putting the car throufg its paces then :D

How do you find the seat. I found it too high when I drove a Lounge at the launch but apparently the Sport version seats go a bit lower . . . which is nice because that's what I've got on order. :)

Hi Baerius, thanks for the compliment. And I agree it's the "panic braking" feature. I've experienced it in Mercs as well, and they are shockingly bad. I prefer to do my own braking, thanks!

Nero500, the seat is a little high, but you can adjust the base to suit. I am 6'1", and my famously bouffant hair only sometimes touches the bottom of the sunroof. Still, your eye level when seated is always higher than people in other cars, so it does feel tall. You get used to it though.

ESP a safety feature? :yuck: ;)

Beast and Baerius, I see it's rather like VDC, such as on our Alfa 147 2.0.

To be honest, I find it quite intrusive in the 147, and enjoy being in full control of the car - it keeps you more attentive. I feel things like VDC add unnecessary complications and weight to the car, potentially more things to go wrong.

I know I'm more of a "purist" in terms of driving, so as you say, chacun a son gout!

Oh, and everyone learns how to hillstart for their driving test. :p

Nope I'm not doing it, I'll not get into an argument over benefits or disadvantages of esp.

It's a personal choice ultimately.

BTW isn't it 'switch offable' as in the ASR button on the climate control dash?

You're right to say the switch can control it but some residual elements remain as a safety feature.

Holy Thread Resurrection, etc...

So yesterday, a mere 7 years and 5 months after taking delivery of our spanking new 1.2 Pop, one of the very first in the country, it has moved on to new pastures.

In that time, it did 60,400 miles, wore out one and a half sets of tyres, needed one set of front brake pads, a light bulb, and a battery. It needed nothing else other than petrol and normal servicing, averaging 46mpg.

What a damn excellent little car. We'll miss it. :(

But the good news is that we now have an Abarth 500C. :D

nice to see someone praiseing the car for such a long period, seems to be lots of doom and gloom about the quality of them, especially the dualogic gearbox, i had mine only 9 months and nearly done just 4000 miles, it seems to be ok, girlfriend has a 4 year old for 8 months only little thing gone wrong so far, blow brake light bulb which i thought was going to be boot wiring and the mirco switch on boot sticking twice.
Hope you enjoy your abarth just as much, you should do with the extra speed and goodies.

Doom and gloom indeed! People generally don't go out of there way to praise things - quite the opposite. The 500 sells by the bucket load and the vast majority will have a positive experience. Of course if you get a bad one that is scant compensation - especially if you get messed about trying to sort it.

I know four other 500 owners locally, none of which have had any problems over the last few years, they all seem to love them.

As you suggest, people tend to shout only when things impact them negatively. So, rather like the recent general election pollsters and screaming lefties, they're simply wrong :devil:.

Back