Technical New marea owner in need of advice

Currently reading:
Technical New marea owner in need of advice

wheeler920

Hi,
I'm a newbie to the fiat world, I've recently purchased a 2.0 20v marea and its done 72000 miles which bring me to my first question, not sure if cambelt has been replaced i've heard it costs about £400 :eek:. Thats what I paid for the car so do I risk it :idea: or get it done? And has anybody taken there's past 72000 without replacing it, if so what mileage to?

With the cambelt issue aside what are the best performance mods to do per £ ? Air filter and exhaust? Dont want to spend too much, i'm thinking about a good service then K&N 57i kit and back box, anybody got feedback on these mods done personally?

I think performance wise these cars are pretty good (y)(y) for a family saloon but the suspension feels a bit wobbly through the corners with quite a lot of body roll, is this how they are set up or could mine be overworn?
Apart from engine i'm thinking about stiffer springs and dampers, anybody got any suggestions?

Thats about it (for now :D:D) so if anybody can help on any of the above or if you have any other suggestions it will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

With regards the timing belt if it goes your car will effectively be scrap.
I've heard of them going past 72K but have also heard of plenty not even making it that far.

Witht the induction kit. Many of us just build our own. The sizes of the needed parts are somewhere in the forum if you do a search for induction kit. A decent cat back exhaust should free off a couple BHP but on this engine you do it more for the sound it makes. :devil:

Suspension is improved quite a bit with lowering springs though if your Marea feels wobbly I'd suggest getting it looked at. Suspension components tend to wear out reasonable quickly on the 20V and this can result in the car not hold a straight line properly.

Hi,
I'm a newbie to the fiat world, I've recently purchased a 2.0 20v marea and its done 72000 miles which bring me to my first question, not sure if cambelt has been replaced i've heard it costs about £400 :eek:. Thats what I paid for the car so do I risk it :idea: or get it done? And has anybody taken there's past 72000 without replacing it, if so what mileage to?

catch 22, dont get it done it COULD last for years or it COULD go tomorrow :eek:

it all depends how long you plan on keeping the car? you can spend a fair few quid keeping these cars on the road!

Hello mate,

I have just moved my 72,000 mile Marea on for about £400, surely it can't be the same car? What year, colour, etc.

If it is mine I can help with some of your questions.

Reg no R*7*W*Y.

I bought it in March 2007 with 57,000 miles and new discs and pads all round.

It then had a full service at Powerfiat and the lower arms, exhaust and cambelt/aux belts/water pump and tensioners were replaced.

Another service in March 2008 with a new clutch slave cylinder and then two new Goodyear tyres for the front.

Myold 20v, i changed the cambelt at 95,000 and that was only because i was told it had been done but couldn't find a receipt for it so took it to poweritalia for a new one. seems to me if you wanna do the shocks and springs and exhuast and filter, that will cost you the same as getting the belts done, i would rather have a car that goes than one that doesn't but looks good if you know what i mean.

My new 20v has 43,000 miles and will have the timimg belt done in the next month or so its well worth paying the 400 quid for peace of mind.

also if you want to make the pipework up for the filter, you will need 76mm universal silicone, the original pipework i believe is between 70mm and 74mm, i used a company on ebay and have done mine in black silicone and a cobra cone filter in stainless all cost me about 53 quid all in and about 45 mins to fit.

cheers

robin

Back