New Ipods!!!

Currently reading:
New Ipods!!!

i'll have me an iphone soon :)

btw, off topic. owen, didnt realise you lived so close to me :eek:

okay went for a looksie at prices.
new nanos seem same price as the old ones so cool though ive no need for one.
only use my nano for running(8gb)and it lives in the armband
the new touch versions,nope sorry £200 for 16gb wouldnt even hold my music
however the 'classic' ipod at around £170 for 80gb is much more interesting if i update my 60gb

however whether the touchscreen is as easy to use as the click wheel is another matter
have you seen the video's, it's incredible... i used to hate apple so so so so so much... bu t i raelly do love them, once i get my mac book pro and my iphone i'll be a very happy man..

the price difference (in america) between the 16GB touch and the 8GB iphone is nothing, and tbh for that kinda price i'd prefer to have the iphone.

the 4GB iphone can still be bought form apple.com (if you live in the states) for just 299... which is around £150!!! bargin in my books! i just cant buy one because i dont live out there :(

iphone i could be tempted by but i would need ot investigate further when my phone is up for renewal which is only a few months away.
although i would not be paying a huge premium fro my phone,never have and never will.
the touchscreen ipods are just too small capacity given its multimedia market.put your music on there and you will need to swap over AVI files too often for my liking

Last edited:
i been bummin mac for years, and no one seemed to care :( since they brought out ipods everyone is loving them!! i been behind mac for years!

but the ipod did bring them back, and the whole new age look and the white theme. they were on the edge of bankcrupcy, and the imacs, ibooks and ipods helped them get back into the market. it just annoys me that no one cared when i used to say how great macs are! now they all jumped on band wagon! now that having an apple product is seen as being "Cool" i dont use em to be cool.. i use them because they are the best at doing what i need them to do!

:(

okay a bit of browsing on the iphone as i never really bothered when it was pre release

After having read the four reviews, here are a few lists of things that the iPhone can and cannot do, as well as some general thoughts from the reviewers. First, what's missing:
No Bluetooth A2DP stereo support
No voice dialing
No MMS support
No instant messaging
No user changeable batteries - must send to Apple after 300 - 400 charges and pay for a new battery installation
Songs can't be used as ringtones, new ringtones can't be downloaded
No over-the-air download of songs from the iTunes store
Can't record video clips
No support for Flash in the browser
What it can do:
Syncs with Outlook for Contacts and Calendar through iTunes
Has some sort of Exchange support, but requires some server security settings to be changed
Can view (only) Word, Excel, and PDF files
Software updates will be available from time to time - could address some/all of the "can't do" items listed above
General thoughts:
The virtual keyboard generated mixed opinions, some like it, others less so
The camera works pretty well in good lighting and the photo viewer app is very nice
It is the best iPod ever, and the best video iPod ever, except for perhaps the storage limits
Battery life is pretty much what Apple claims, which is quite good
The new glass front seems to be very scratch resistant and easy to clean
The call audio quality seems to be average, possibly due to the reception/network
The WiFi support is great, but the EDGE data is too slow for regular web pages
Everybody loves the UI, but some simple tasks, like making calls, take too many taps
With the possible exception of the keyboard and call audio/reception, everything the phone does, it does well

things like MMs and ringtones bother me.i see itunes saying iphone ringtones will be available for download.however im not paying for ringtones.
no mms support is unforgivable even if yanks dont use it much.needs added to the OS
cant record video? again these type of features can be added but i wonder why its not already there.

okay a bit of browsing on the iphone as i never really bothered when it was pre release

things like MMs and ringtones bother me.i see itunes saying iphone ringtones will be available for download.however im not paying for ringtones.
no mms support is unforgivable even if yanks dont use it much.needs added to the OS
cant record video? again these type of features can be added but i wonder why its not already there.

for me all those things are trivial... MMS... i've never sent an MMS in my life... too exencive.. rintones are 99c... but lets be honest, once someone has worked out how to make them yourself it wont be long before you can get them for free or even make your own.

and no video support, i have to admit this does bother me a little... and tbh the camera is the only thing i dont like, why they couldn't have put a 5mpx lens in there i dont know... wouild have been perfect, like me N95

you say you have never sent one but having a camera and a way to send those pictures on can be handy.
plus no MMS support means no one can send you one either!
why pay for a ringtone when you have a machine filled with the same files your paying for?
as you say video recording is a no brainer. i will wait and see.

TBH I don't think the current iPhone will be the one that comes to Europe. It doesn't have 3 (or 3.5) G support. WiFi web browsing is all well and good in the states (coz they have more of it), but for us over this side of the pond they'll need to add 3g or HSDPA (which goes to 7.2Mbs in the UK).

Can't believe there hasn't been more of an effort to get some sort of homebrew running on the iPhone.

Am I the only one who see's its potential? Multi-touch screen plus its probably a pretty capable device.

Ooooooo the possibilitys, seriously.

apple say sorry for cutting the iphonoe price!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6982717.stm

Have Apple seriously underestimated the mobile phone market? A grossly over priced product that is lacking some features of other mobiles and is tied to one premium rate service provider?

Looks fancy though, but that seems to be what Apple rely on these days (style over substance?). All that fanfare earlier this year is beginning to look a little bit like the 'Emperor's new clothes'...

Can't believe there hasn't been more of an effort to get some sort of homebrew running on the iPhone.

Am I the only one who see's its potential? Multi-touch screen plus its probably a pretty capable device.

Ooooooo the possibilitys, seriously.

It's been unlocked already so the possibilities are there:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=iphone+unlocked&meta=

Thing is, some aspects of the iPhone aren't that good according to the reviews. Surely a palm pc would be just as good?

Last edited:
It's been unlocked already so the possibilities are there:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=iphone+unlocked&meta=

Thing is, some aspects of the iPhone aren't that good according to the reviews. Surely a palm pc would be just as good?

Unlocking and running Homebrew are two completely different things.
An exploit in the system needs to be found in the system to run arbitary code, and i'm guessing a lot of the code used on the iPhone will be based on OSX.

It also depends how much security they have in place on the device, such as only running executables with the correct signature and what not, ala PSP stylee.

Unlocking and running Homebrew are two completely different things.
An exploit in the system needs to be found in the system to run arbitary code, and i'm guessing a lot of the code used on the iPhone will be based on OSX.

It also depends how much security they have in place on the device, such as only running executables with the correct signature and what not, ala PSP stylee.

give them a chance.fairly new hardware/os.
i think apple need to realise that the mobile market is competitive and they need to tick certain feature boxes.
i like it but would need to get hands on experience before i signed up to a contract on it as being tied to a buggy phone for your contract is no fun(been there!)

give them a chance.fairly new hardware/os.
i think apple need to realise that the mobile market is competitive and they need to tick certain feature boxes.
i like it but would need to get hands on experience before i signed up to a contract on it as being tied to a buggy phone for your contract is no fun(been there!)

Just get the new iPod touch and then get a half decent phone. I've never been one to mix my MP3 player and phone, they're two different devices, it can stay that way.

I've tried doing it before anyone asks, the sound quality is usually not as good and it shows that the MP3 player aspect is an after thought.

Me, i'm looking to do 16Gb iPod Touch + SE K850i, should be an amazing combo.

And when the Software on the iPod touch is hacked, oh my were in for some goodies, seen as the current iPods run Doom, were in for some fun :D

Back