New ICE install...

Currently reading:
New ICE install...

solarisfireball

Looking to do a new ICE install...

Want to keep it on the cheap. Below £500 if possible. Also want some DVD playback as well as USB and SD card if possible.

Currently looking at this head unit that does all the above.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/beat-usbsd-p-5588.html

Speakers wise was thinking

17cm Vibe SA60 Kevlar up front with tweaters and
13cm Pioneer TS-E1376 in the back.

Front and rear speakers running off the head unit using current wiring with no amps to keep costs and hastle down.

Sub wise was thinking something active. Again coz I want to keep it easy.

Looking at Vibe CBR12 Active EVO.

This sound ok? Can anyone see any pitfalls? And how do I fit it all into my mk2?

HU looks very similar to the JVC ones you can get :chin:

IMO there's little point in getting components and then running them off the HU - comps need power. You may find that the standard speakers may sound just as good as the comps off the HU - the difference comes when there's a bit of power available, i.e. when amped :)

i noticed a big difference in sonud quality when i fitted jbl components, i'd say its the quality of the amp/hu that matters as i've tried different make amps and there's a big difference in the sound quality and if you've got a bad hu no amp will make it sound better

The front speakers desperately need replacing. The originals have what feels like paper as a cone and even with the standard Blaupunkt headunit distort even at moderate volumes....

I will connect these speakers to an amp when i get some funds...

They will - they are simply too small to reproduce the lower frequencies at anywhere near loud volumes.

Sooner they get ripped out the better then. Before the speakers arive tomorrow how would i go about wireing them up?

The head unit and speakers are hear.....gonna fit it tonight i think.....

Am i going to need to go get a ISO adapter cable from halfords or not?

Also how do I connect the speakers in + will they fit as the holes are 16.5cm but the speaker is 17cm.....

Update.

Speakers are in.

Headunit was in but has been yanked back out again as I cant for the life of mye find somewhere to hook into ignition voltage. Ive read of an orange cable but cant find it for the life of me. And I dont want to risk having the headunit on all the time as it has some nice flashing lights on the unit when the faceplate is off which is just asking for a break in.

Can someone give me a detailed guide to wireing this.

This headunit also has a USB port on the back and I wanted to run some line in cables but I cant get them to drop neatly into the passengers footwell. Is there anyway to remove the glove box or will I have to rip out half the center console?

I also had a problem getting the head unit all the way back, but I guess thats going to take a bit of work.

Still waiting on the sub and wireing kit for that and gave up due to poor lighting. Will resume tomorrow.

Someone please help...

God I love the feedback. Ran a wire down to the electric windows in the end a spliced into a cable I found that was only live with ignition. Still cant get the HU all the way back but donw want to yet as I have still got to install the sub which should be arriving within the hour. Does anyone know if its possible to remove the glove box?

God I love the feedback.

almost as much as i love the amount of information you gave :p
what car, model and year? (when you say mk2 i assume mk2 punto? :confused: )

all cars will have an ignition live easily available. usually there is one on the stereo wiring harness, if you look in a haynes manual it will tell you which colour wire this is. failing that just use the power wire for anything that is powered by ignition, such as the cig lighter. using the elec window wire is silly dont you think :)

when i installed my girlfriend's JVC head unit in her mk2 punto there was an ignition on the stereo wiring that worked fine with the standard head unit harness, it was a simple case of plug and play, so maybe your headunit is meant to have flashy lights when the ignition is swithced off. some do as a safety feature to show the face has been removed. read the instructions ;) failing that you need to swap the live and ignition wires over on the head unit harness, but swapping the red and yellow or red and orange wires over, there are bullet connectors on the harness to allow this.

obviously its possible to remove the glove box, get a screwdriver and go for it, it takes 2 mins.

Last edited:
Its all good now. Yeah its a punto 1.2 go (51 plate). I pulled the ignition voltage from the elextric windows. Everything else works fine. Sub is in. All sounds sick. My ears are still ringing from it all. Want to change the headunit already tho but gonna save up for something nice.

Cheers for any help given, learnt loads about the punto over the last few days.

Back