Technical new headunit

Currently reading:
Technical new headunit

dapex

Hi all, I have just purchased a new head unit for my 03 stilo 1.6 Active. Its only a £50 thing from Aldi, but it plays mp3 so i'm happy. Now as I expected from reading other threads it wont power up. I have read people talking baout joining the yellow and red on the iso connector together and this got me power, but i cant turn the bloody thing off....

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get it sorted... Will the HU stil work with the ignition off like my old one did, or was that all inbuilt into the original HU (the 20min mode)

Cheers

Dave

Nope ... It will not come on or off with your key (Nice one Fiat) as its controlled by the can wires which will not work with an after market unit - You could run a cable from the fag lighter to your ignition live on the ISO conecter - If its a face off headunit Just take the face off.

:D

Gits. It is a face off unit but I know I will forget to take the face off some times, I suppose i can just flip the face off to turn the unit off (the on button still works fine) I take it by joining the yellow and red wires I wont damage anyhting or burn anything out???

Out of curiosity, I presume the red on the iso is the main power feed, thats what threw me at first cus my HU has a lead to the red on the iso but nothing to the yellow and I thought the yellow was for the memory...
Cheers

Last edited:
It depends ...on most Yellow is Perment Live (memory) and Red is ignition live.

You will not damage the car or the headunit by wiring in this way, infact sony tell you to do this in the instal manual (I have a Sony in mine) for cars without a ignition live.

Cheers m8, your a star, just got to go get some connectors and a bit of wire and i'm up and running..:)

LOL, Lee, to be honest I have got that used to the 20min thing that I often just dont turn the radio off.......

I really cant believe that there is no simple way around this. people keeping saying that things are controlled by them CAN, whats the can??
:)

Its the wires that send information to and from the ecu ...thats how it knows to turn its self up when your going faster or to display what Number track your on, on the instrument display.

Thats why they dont work any more. I would rather have MP3 tbh :p

Mine has a standby mode and a off ... You just hold it down to switch off or press once for standby, which just makes the screen do a big advert for Sony.

I take the face off anyway.

Got the old unit out no problem and fitted the new one, the biggest problem is that my new unit doesn't appear to have an off switch, its not the fact that it doesn't turn of with the ignition, it just doesn't turn off at all.....

Cheers for the all the help so far

Back