Technical New head gasket now can't start it!

Currently reading:
Technical New head gasket now can't start it!

Postie

My son kindly replaced the cylinder head gasket in my wifes T reg Punto 1.2, 8 valve. We had the head skimmed and preasure tested also. Now it is back together it wont start!! He also replaced the cam belt and is sure the timing is spot on. There is fuel to the carb and spark on plugs.
The only thing strange is the injector light remains on. It turns over OK but doesn’t even give a cough! Any ideas? :confused:

has he put this bit back right, it only works in 1 position

pin_n_hole.JPG

Yes he said it was on the right way and it would only go on one way any way. It sounds like this is a comon problem?? :shrug:

Yes he said it was on the right way and it would only go on one way any way. It sounds like this is a comon problem?? :shrug:

not a problem with the cars a problem with peoples ability to see a pin and a hole right in front of there eyes

we still get garages at work phoning us with the same thing

and once we had someone trying to start a car after a cam belt change without the pulley even attached as they just wanted to test before they resembled

we still get garages at work phoning us with the same thing

and once we had someone trying to start a car after a cam belt change without the pulley even attached as they just wanted to test before they resembled

exactly the reason I don't let a garage near my car now. not all mechanics can know all things, so reckon I'm better off doing my own stuff, wheras a mechanic unfamiliar wit the car could take twice as long and not put it together right (which is whats happened wtih everyone I know who has taken a car to a garage (n))

exactly the reason I don't let a garage near my car now. not all mechanics can know all things, so reckon I'm better off doing my own stuff, wheras a mechanic unfamiliar wit the car could take twice as long and not put it together right (which is whats happened wtih everyone I know who has taken a car to a garage (n))

even were i work it seems like there are more people not interested in fixing cars than there are that are

someone i work with for instance works as a builder also making allot more thanhe does at the garage he only stays i quote cos he enjoys working on cars

but he is just plainly old fashioned lazy useless rough and does not care about peoples pride and joy or safety on the road he does this because he knows he could quit tomorrow if he wanted

there is me my dad and one other out of 6 mechanics that actually care about doing the job right first time every time and putting all the bits back were they came from and not throwing that new fuel filter/rocker cover gasket in the bin instead of fitting them instead of how much of this service can i overlook to increase my bonus or were does this bit go back i know chuck it in the bin

i right tappet clearances on the bottom of my job cards to make a point to the service manager as he's the one who should be making sure everyone else is doing these things but nothing seems to change

there's a good idea next time you get your petrol 8v fire serviced at a fiat dealer ask them after to show you your tappet clearances and put a paint mark on the rocker cover seal to check after also

it should be done every 2 years so second forth sixth eighth

Last edited:
Absolutely no need nor necessity to goto a Fiat dealer to get a T reg Fiat serviced. Your car has now gone beyond the age where paying inflated prices for servicing at a main dealer will give you any kind of residual protection when you come to sell your car.

Find a local garage you can trust (and they do exist), the 8v FIRE engines from Fiat are well known, and no decent local garage is going to have any problems whatsoever with them.

Unless the car is high value, going to a Fiat dealership simply isn't cost effective, and what with the poor wages that mechanic apprentices are on these days, going to a main dealer is no assurance of the quality of their work.

Back