Technical New Fiat owner Cam-Belt Problems

Currently reading:
Technical New Fiat owner Cam-Belt Problems

lew23

Hi All New to this so any help would be great.

Have just got a Fiat Marea 2 litre 20 valve with 81000 on the clock i have no proof that the cam-belt has been changed and the best price i can get is £650 which is a bit out of my price range. Is there anyway it can be checked before replacement and does anyone know where i might be able to get it done cheaper? I live in Essex.

Many thanks

If you pull back the cambelt cover and examine the belt itself, that can give you an idea if it has been done recently. No cracks manufacturers name still clearly visible that sort of thing.
The cost of not replacing and a failure of the belt will always be much more than the cost of replacing the belt. So unless you can prove to yourself it is a newish belt I'd recommend getting it changed as a precaution.

As for the price I know things are more expensive down south but you should still be able to find somewhere cheaper than 650. Sorry I can't tell you where though.

as above, £399 with everything- all tensioners, water pump, all belts, the lot basicly.

and as said, look under the cover, its easy enough, just 1 bolt for pull the top cover back a bit i think, if it looks new then maybe take a chance? but how do you know the tensioners been done.

if it looks like its not been done id advise not to drive it and tow it to a garage! they usually snap about 80k

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help guy's i will try and have a look myself. Another question if you can help...

I want to put a new CD player in as it currently only has the standard tape player, 1) any ideas where i can get a facia and 2) will the steering wheel controls still work with a new CD player?

Thanks again for your help!

Many thanks for your help guy's i will try and have a look myself. Another question if you can help...

I want to put a new CD player in as it currently only has the standard tape player, 1) any ideas where i can get a facia and 2) will the steering wheel controls still work with a new CD player?

Thanks again for your help!

there are two types of Fascia, the cheaper ebay one is a rubbish fit and different colour, have a look on google for one, they are about £15 but fit properly, colour matches and it looks good :)

as for the steering wheel controls it will depend if an adaptor is available to make them work, there is one for Sony HU's but i've never bothered to get one for mine.

Ry

You could just get a second hand cd changer off ebay (grundig mcd-36) i got one for about 30 quid all in.
Check that you've got the cable though as you might need that aswell (also on ebay from time to time) then you can still use your steering wheel controls.
I put my changer under the back seat and cut out the letter box sized piece of carpet that you can see when you look at the metal panel that the hinges of the seat are fixed to (just off centre on drivers side) and you can then change your cd's without leavin the drivers seat!:D

Back