General New Fiat 500

Currently reading:
General New Fiat 500

LauraBrown1

Hi I have had so many issues with my 62 plate fiat 500c, it puts me off buying a new one. Are they made any better now? My issues have been, at 25k miles my steering column went, door handles fell off, arms needing replaced, reverse cables have went and the normal wear and tear on top of that ie tyres, breaks, brake pads etc. it puts me off buying a new one, what are your thoughts.

Thanks Laura

I can't speak for the 500, but my 13 plate Panda seems well screwed together.

The handles are a common fault, even on other marques like Alfa Romeo.

Sounds like you've had a pretty bad run of luck, but I don't think you can blame tyres or brakes on Fiat, at that mileage I'd still expect a car to be coming to the end of its first set of front pads and discs, and probably 2nd/3rd set of tyres?

I wouldn't expect it to normally need new suspension but that is a common fault again on lots of cars that share the FCA parts bin.

If you use Fiat branded parts or even OEM, then they should last longer than most parts from eBay or Euro Car Parts.

Hi Laura welcome to the forum
Have you owned the car from new or was it pre owned?
Unfortunately some of these issues are common on the 500 in particular the door handles
Especially on an 8/9 year old car and are considered wear & tear items
As far as the steering column personally I’ve not heard of that failure

From personal experience my 8 year old 500 when I bought her turned out to be a money pit! However I didn’t have many options other than to get stuck in and do many repairs myself
OEM parts are not particularly expensive thank god however labour charges can be!

If I were to buy another 500 I’d be looking for a newer model max 2/3 years old having said that like most other cars they are always going to cost you money I guess having a warranty goes a long way towards any likely repairs!

Back