Technical New Ducato Oil Change Limp Mode

Currently reading:
Technical New Ducato Oil Change Limp Mode

Reg 65

Just quoting from the handbook of my new fangled Ducato

DECAYED ENGINE OIL
(Multijet versions with DPF only)
The warning light starts to flash together with an alert on the display (for versions/markets where provided) when the system detects that the engine oil has deteriorated.
If the warning light flashes, this does not mean that the vehicle is faulty, but simply informs the driver that it is now necessary to change the engine oil as a result of regular vehicle use. If the oil is not changed, warning light # will come on and engine operation is limited to 3000 rpm when a second threshold is reached. If the oil is still not changed when a third deterioration threshold is reached, the engine is limited to 1500 rpm to prevent damage.

Has anyone found a way to reset it for those of us who do our own oil and filter changes?

Thanks for the reply
Don't know build date
I'm finding components on it dated December 2020, so build date will be sometime between then and May2021 when it was first registered
V5 says Euro 6 C1

Have seen lots of suggestions that apparently work with earlier models only.
But this one seems to work on recent models
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjMeyb62ps
has anyone tried it?

The procedure reset the mileage to oil change on my 2017 150bhp to approx 28500. It had not got to the stage of flashing etc, I just used the procedure to reset it after an oil / filter change.

I have a diagnostic tool for Ducato models to euro5. This had an oil reset function but on my euro6 it reset the mileage to service to approx 28,000 miles whilst doing nothing to the mileage to oil change.

The procedure reset the mileage to oil change on my 2017 150bhp to approx 28500. It had not got to the stage of flashing etc, I just used the procedure to reset it after an oil / filter change.

I have a diagnostic tool for Ducato models to euro5. This had an oil reset function but on my euro6 it reset the mileage to service to approx 28,000 miles whilst doing nothing to the mileage to oil change.

The procedures on vans with oil degradation software (all DPF equipped X290s I believe) are two pronged. There is a service reset which cancels the service due warning for the specified time and mileage. There is also a degradation counter reset which should be applied each time the oil is changed, and resets the oil condition counter to zero. Oil changes are not time or distance driven on these vans (apart from the headline mileage figure and at least every two years time basis) but are determined by the oil condition algorithm that illuminates a separate "oil change required" message on the dash and will initiate a limp mode strategy shortly thereafter.

So both the service and oil change counters need to be reset after a service including an oil change. They are separate functions in MES or other diagnostic software. The first is programmed through the BCM and the second through the ECM.

rayc , I have a 2017 Ducato 130 Euro 6.
Can I ask clarification on your notes above please.
There are two mileage counters:-
1/. for the next service
2/. for the oil degradation.
If I understand your notes, you have been able to reset the service counter yet not reset the degradation counter.
question, can you detail how you reset the service counter?
Ive just done my 24k oil change and been able to reset the degradation counter using Youtube notes (ign on, depress accelerator pedal, holding down for the full procedure. Wait 1 minute, depress brake pedal 7 times, ign off then lift foot off accelerator, wait 1 minute before turning ign back on).
My problem is that I dont know how to reset the next service counter and I think you know how its done.
I look forward to your reply, thanks.

I was able to reset both counters on my 2017 2.3 150bhp. The oil change one I did with the youtube procedure the same as as you.
The mileage to service change one I did using an ICARSOFT FA V2.0 FIAT ALFA ROMEO MULTI SYSTEM CAR DIAGNOSTIC CODE SCANNER TOOL. It is designed to work up to euro5 models and has a Oil change reset function. I found that this function actually reset the mileage to service but did nothing to the mileage to oil change on my euro6.

Last edited:
I was able to reset both counters on my 2017 2.3 150bhp. The oil change one I did with the youtube procedure the same as as you.
The mileage to service change one I did using an ICARSOFT FA V2.0 FIAT ALFA ROMEO MULTI SYSTEM CAR DIAGNOSTIC CODE SCANNER TOOL. It is designed to work up to euro5 models and has a Oil change reset function. I found that this function actually reset the mileage to service but did nothing to the mileage to oil change on my euro6.

Thats interesting, Thanks.
Have you tried updating it for Euro 6
Just googled it and it says upgrades are free;

https://ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk/pro...oeWkkHj5eu7bZ9zItWNfeEVO3XlQiJxRoC0OEQAvD_BwE

froma a previous thread
I have a OBDlink SX usb adaptor supplied from Gendan with Mes. The addition of a Usb/micro extention to a phone (samsung j6) allows me to use Alfaobd.
Recently i aquired a Bluetooth Vgate-iCarPro £24 from ebay. Beware there are cheap (£10) copies that do not work. I have had This working with both Multecuscan and AlfaOBD . (only tried engine ECU so far)
Note there is an alternative for android that can access the Engine ECU only. says does the important oil reset) By Kapron-AP £12.

since i wrote that tested the kapron ap it did not work i got a refund.

Back