JettaFrontLeft.jpg

New Daily: VW Jetta GTi 16v

Introduction

Right i'll keep it short, how i bought it: 1989 small bumper Jetta GTi 16v, Helios Blue, Power Steering, Central Locking, 53000 miles on the clocks, 17" alloys :yuk:, Mint Interior, tatty paintwork in areas but surprisingly solid bodywork, No T&T. Worked down from £250 without wheels to £175 all in... wheels will be sold on to recoup some of that..
Picture 1: How it started:
5.jpg

Picture 2: The back end when i got it, swiftly changing..
SP_A0581.jpg

MOT it. Fails on emissions, brake hoses and a few little bits. New dizzy fitted (old one blew up!) ~£200 later she has a years ticket:
Picture 3: Quickly Cleaned engine:
1.jpg

Picture 4: Fit my Ronal Turbos for a bit:
JettaFrontLeft.jpg

Picture 5: Get some suspenion, J-tec 20-120mm coilovers £150 brand new:
SP_A0623.jpg

Picture 6: Get some winter wheels, Compomotive MS, 13", ET24:
Wheel21.jpg

Picture 7&8: Polish the lip:
Pre-Polish.jpg

Polish2.jpg

Then find out they may not fit as the car might have 256 brakes, but as '89 might have 239s, we'll see *cross fingers*!
Plan for the front end, this is another car editted..
Jetta16vHeliosFlat2.jpg

Car is getting a respray (same colour) then that's about it, maybe satin blacking the bumpers while its in the shop.
Progress from yesterday, some good, some bad:
1 - 13" compomotives fit fine on the back, not on the front, poop, theyre getting sold then, or as 4x100 13x6 ET24 i could try and get them on the cinq :devil:
2 - Spent ages undoing sh**ty stuck bolt on rear suspension mount
3 - Fitted coilovers - back 50mm up (midway), front at the bottom (thought was highest setting?) so it was rubbing like an absolute b!tch! Rubbing as in getting stuck in the road and tyres getting properly stuck when turning..
4 - drove round the corner to pick up some 14" le castellets (winter wheels) to see if they make the rubbing a bit better
5 - find out that bottom of thread is actually lowest setting, duh *f@%$ing idiot*
6 - Raise it by 30mm at front, leave back as was, fit 14" castellets, no rubbing, polish them up, ronals go to sleep for winter.

PICS:
before, rear lights now rubbed down and looking 100x better imo:
SP_A0699.jpg

SP_A0702.jpg

Coilies on (at bottom, before realised it was lowest setting, now a bit higher):
SP_A0708.jpg

SP_A0709.jpg

SP_A0723.jpg

SP_A0724.jpg

SP_A0729.jpg

SP_A0730.jpg

Mean as french connection uk (obviously) imo, love it, before it was lowered:
SP_A0691.jpg

Love it, No good pics with the castellets yet.. Overall its such a nice car, solid, not a 1 in 10 car, 1.8 16v, very spacious inside, and last but not least nice and quick, id say the abarth cinq might have given it a go at the beginning of the 2nd/3rd gears when you floor it, but when this hits mid range it moves like sh!t off a shovel.

Comments?

Craig
i was confused for ages. went around the corner to get some wheels and got stuck when i was turning, tyre wouldnt let me turn! literally was sitting on the tyres. thought there must of been something wrong, found a post explaining it so wound it up by 30mm at the front, all good now. still pretty low but driveable, just needs to settle down.

Back