General New Cinq Owner

Currently reading:
General New Cinq Owner

martinrossbrown

Hi all! Just browsed across this forum, it seems pretty cool!

I have got my 1st car, a 97 Cinq S, what an introduction to driving! Taking corners is real seat of pants stuff at speed. Better than gettin g an average family car.

Not too many problems at present bar the lovely gearbox, apart from the usual 'find the 1st gear problem', mine can move from gear to gear without using the clutch! What have other Cinq owners done to rectify the problem?

I would also like to go down the modding path, but with emphasis on performance rather than looks, what would be cheap+simple 1st steps?

Feel free for Cinq chat and TIA for any replies

Martin

Welcome Martin - obviously from my sig I'm not much help being a P***a owner, but there are plenty of knowledgeable cinq owners on here!

Enjoy your time here. There's some real characters!

Steve
(I'm also on [email protected])

panda3.jpg

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL "Rustwagen"
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

Martin,
Hi, welcome to the forum. Easy work for a bit more power includes air filter swap - whether you go for the replacement panel filter or an induction kit (K&N are not too well thought of for Cinqs) and an exhaust, either just a replacement back box or a full system. Do bear in mind that if you go for a CAT replacement system, you'll never pass an MOT. Also, it's worth noting that 1108 and 899cc exhausts are a different bore pipe.
I'd reccommend putting lowering springs or a full springs and shox suspension kit on with an anti roll bar to help with the handling if you're making it quicker, and the next logical step would be wider wheels and tyres - fashion conscious please note that putting 15"s on will make the car noticeably slower. Should be able to get a set of Sporting alloys fairly cheap, and 175 50 13's fit a treat and really help.

Could you give us some more details of the gear problems, and I could ask around. I know the 899 box is a bit rougher than the punto-sourced 1108 one though, but it sounds like there might be something amiss.

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

well... you could always slap in a punto engine and 6speed gearbox, add a turbocharger, with about a 900 shot of NoS and youre sailing...

all the way to bankrrupcy that is eheheh

Aragh!
vroom Vroom

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Fiat Modder
well... you could always slap in a punto engine and 6speed gearbox, add a turbocharger, with about a 900 shot of NoS and youre sailing...

all the way to bankrrupcy that is eheheh

Aragh!
vroom Vroom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

f**k me mate, all the way to bancrupy, and Heaven !!! or Hell [V][V]

Whitterz.jpg

1st of all gd choice of car ;). Perfomance wise u could have bought a Sporting :p owell K&N induction kit if i dnt add much more power it'll give ur car a nice sound i notced midrange was improved on my sporting. Get a new chip in it new exhaust system if ur really rich get a mad Turbo conversion :D. Somehow i dnt think thats rite with ur gearbox and u cud b causing damage 2 it i'd take it 2 fiat or a local garage and get it checked out if i were u sooner rather than later. I kno my gearbox ain't pretty which is y my cinque gets 2 spend valantines day with Fiat woohoo [8D] and they'll b getting £300+ of me. Owell enjoy the car and ain't the handling and grip great? oh if u fancy some sporting alloys i got 4 with 4 gd tyres £80 or mayby less won't some1 buy them or they'll b on Ebay or scraped soon.

Cheers for all replies - sorry couldn't reply sooner, upgraded computer and lost the bookmark[V]

Yeah I think the air filter is an easy option - I'm only up to two spanners in the Haynes scheme of things.

Suspension is a bit R.A.F. so I think replacement of springs/rollbar is in order. Just a bit worried about tyres touching bodywork- no-one's had any problems, have they?

Catch everyone around soon, will get in the swing of things now back online.

Martin

Back