new car

Currently reading:
new car

ash3101

i currently have a brava 1.4 sx (97) i know 1 of the worst around but im upgrading in september and wanted some advice. ive been lookin at the mk2 puntos n wanted to know if they are any good as in fuel consumption and any engine problems etc would this be a good buy or shud i try looking round for something like a corsa.

thanx for the help.

My Mk2 Punto (an 8v 1242cc with 60bhp) averaged 50mpg over the 60,000 miles I drove it. The only engine problem I had was a head gasket when the car had done about 65k. The consumption will depend on what kind of driving you do. Of course, if fuel costs are a primary concern then look at the JTD.

BTW, similar age Corsa's can't match the economy of the Punto - to do better from other manufacturers you need to go down to a 1.0.

ash3101 said:
or shud i try looking round for something like a corsa

:eek: Wash your mouth out! Speak like that infront of your mum?!

You will get similar MPG between a 1.2 punto and a JTD punto... on long runs with little weight in the car and driving gently. The JTD will hold its mpg even if driven hard around country lanes with extra weight.

Hope that is of help. Any reason you are looking at cars smaller than you had before? Thought of getting a JTD Bravo/a or a Stilo?

my girlfriend has a mk2 sporting and it has a few faults but overall its a good car, definately cheap to run. the head gasket problem has been common on all 1.2 engines since the mk1 punto was released. the 8v more so than the 16v. other things to look out for are the engine management light (it goes on and off when it likes), airbag light, front wiper linkage breaks easily and often, paint defects on many cars (also stonechips/scratches easily due to thin brittle paintwork), rust along the front of the bonnet and roof where it meets windscreen, remote keys break easily on 16v models, the carpet in the drivers footwell doesnt last long if mats havent been used. nothing major and all the type of things you can use to haggle the price down. overall i'd say its the best car in its class from that generation. not as well built or reliable as a corsa but much better looking and less chavish. fiats lose value more than vauxhalls, but that means mk2 punto's are bargain cars now, and cheaper than an equivalent corsa. you'll get a 2001/2 sporting for £2000-2500, i'd recommend the sporting coz you get a great package with all the extras you could even want.

forgot to mention the steering column tends to vibrate excessively over rough surfaces, it sometimes feels dodgy but its normal (i think fiat used the same steering column on the grande punto coz they have the same problem)

Back