General New car, new problem 😔

Currently reading:
General New car, new problem 😔

Markah2007

Hi guys, after getting help here 10 months back and finally getting my daughter's twin air fiat 500 running perfect, someone has drove into whilst parked and it's destroyed.
Really upsetting as it had very low milage in great condition and the insurance are paying out 500 less than they are going for and won't budge as the cars are all being listed way over the top lately.
So we've had to add some extra money but we now have a mint condition 2012 1.2 lounge however when pressing the clutch pedal in there is a loud clunk and the pedals a little stiff, does this sound like the pressure plate or bearing ?
The pedal is working fine and not spongy so I don't think it's the master or slave but as it's stiffer than normal I thought it could still be a possibility.
Any help would be appreciated and I could get a video of it later on.
Thanks, mark

Hi guys, after getting help here 10 months back and finally getting my daughter's twin air fiat 500 running perfect, someone has drove into whilst parked and it's destroyed.
Really upsetting as it had very low milage in great condition and the insurance are paying out 500 less than they are going for and won't budge as the cars are all being listed way over the top lately.
So we've had to add some extra money but we now have a mint condition 2012 1.2 lounge however when pressing the clutch pedal in there is a loud clunk and the pedals a little stiff, does this sound like the pressure plate or bearing ?
The pedal is working fine and not spongy so I don't think it's the master or slave but as it's stiffer than normal I thought it could still be a possibility.
Any help would be appreciated and I could get a video of it later on.
Thanks, mark
Two things ,1. Some insurance companies jack your premium up next time as you "have been involved in an accident" even though not your fault.
An old customer is still fighting that for a car driving into his parked car whilst he was indoors watching the TV! They even log it as that if you just ask about making a claim!
2. Regarding the clutch, if new car mint , low mileage etc. it may have been standing and clutch assembly rusted or dry, hopefully it will get easier with more use.
I have had to help another mechanic in the past on a Peugeot that kept breaking the new clutch cables he fitted. The cause was a driver who rested their foot on the clutch pedal had worn a wear ridge in the pressure plate where the release bearing contacts it, which made a very stiff operation on the first part of the travel , then it would clunk and the pedal would travel easy on the last bit. In that case the only proper option was a new clutch assembly.

You could whip off the battery box fairly easily to have a good look at the slave cylinder (or sometimes stuffing a phone in there will let you take a photo). It could be a bit shot; a good one should have a nice straight rod, a nylon cap on the end and be nicely lubed where it presses the release arm cup. If your nylon cap is missing, or the end looks a bit corroded, or the rod rests at an angle, then the slave won't complain if you pension it off for a new one.

The problem with slaves is that they're connected to the master cylinder at the little alloy pepperpot joiner under the wheel arch. That may become a mission to separate and the "proper" way to fix it would be to also replace the pipe from (hence you will also need) the master cylinder... although people have replaced the joiner with plumbing fittings or even a flared bit of pipe... may God have mercy on their souls.

If it's the clutch then it may get better with more use... but there is an inspection cover that you may be able to get a look into. I suspect the plates are good but the release bearing is probably having trouble on the pressure plate fingers. Unfortunately the only way to find out what's happening is to take the gearbox off, in which case for the effort, I would be inclined to also change the clutch... so it looks like for now, it may be just checking the breakdown insurance and waiting for it to get worse before doing anything with it. If it survives until April or May at least you can fix it in the Spring sunshine, rather than in the November drizzle..

Ralf S.

Back