General New brake pads and discs :)

Currently reading:
General New brake pads and discs :)

corky

Mk2 Punto Sporting 1.2
Well i got my 2 week break from work on monday so on monday i put some new brake pads and discs on get the car ready for winter took me about half hour cant wait get some paint and paint the calipers and rear drums, then im going to put the lowering kit on and then install some brighter headlights give it a good bloody clean :)

Well the system does need bleeding BUT big problem the bleed nipple is a 8mm spanner but!!! the spanner doesn't fit and a 7mm spanner does not fit either so im totally baffled kwik fit said they will bleed the system for 29.99 but they got it on the machine and said the brakes are perfect but there is definate air in the pedal i can feel it and it makes an air sound when i push it in so i dont know what to do i dont want snap the nipple!!

Well the system does need bleeding BUT big problem the bleed nipple is a 8mm spanner but!!! the spanner doesn't fit and a 7mm spanner does not fit either so im totally baffled kwik fit said they will bleed the system for 29.99 but they got it on the machine and said the brakes are perfect but there is definate air in the pedal i can feel it and it makes an air sound when i push it in so i dont know what to do i dont want snap the nipple!!

When you take the calipers off to paint them you will need to bleed them. Buy new nipples and plus gas the originals twice a day over the weekend. Ten use moles to get them out.

Cheers

D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
They are standard items available at all motor factors. The stainless bleed nipples should be fine. Ask the seller if they fit Fiats. The spanner wont fit on the originals because they have rusted so use the PlusGas to penetrate the threads and mole grips to extract them.

If the calipers are off the car you could heat the nipple with a blow lamp to loosen the seizure. But heat only the nipple not the caliper body and dont go mad its only to expand the metal and hopefully break the seizure.

When you take the calipers off the car clamp the hose to retain the fluid. Also consider fitting new hoses (also available on ebay).

To change the brake fluid pump it out via the bleed nipples and keep topping up the reservoir. When its clean in the top and coming out the bleed nipples its changed.

Last edited:
kwik fit said they will bleed the system for 29.99 but they got it on the machine and said the brakes are perfect

Kwick fit renewed my brake fuild in april this year. Im also certain there is air in the system. after rebleeding them my self it felt MUCH better(y) I dont know anything about changing the nipples on the brakes but im fairly sure kwickfit aren't the best place to get system bled(y)

No worries then about changing the fluid. But if KF had the nipples open 6 months ago they should come out fine with some small mole grips. Coat the new stainless nipples with antiseize paste**, whip an old one out and put the new one in. Its less messy if you clamp the hose.
**Stainless can gall - hence the paste.

Old stretchy hoses will make the brakes feel spongy. Fit new hoses. The hiss is caused by the vacuum caliper. You cant hear the bubbles in brake lines.

Back