Technical New Alloys - Funny Noise

Currently reading:
Technical New Alloys - Funny Noise

Finally after a few financial hiccups and a mix up in the shop i have my new alloys for my punto. :D 205/40/17's

images

Drove to work this morning, and whenever i turned the steering wheel to the left, i heard this kind of banging/rubbing sound coming from the back drivers side wheel. :confused:

I thought that if they were going to rub that it would be on the front not the back seeing as how the back wheels dont turn, if ya know what i mean.

Anyway what would you say this noise is, and is it going to do any damage???

Ta

Thanks.
It's hard to describe the noise i suppose it is a kind of scraping noise or like scraping on an uneven surface making a banging noise. Oh i dont know but it's freaking me out!!!!

It sounds worse if im going faster. Maybe it will stop after a while. Well im gonna hope it does anyway!!

I think I would be having the wheel off and looking to see if anything is catching, don't leave it till it stops as you my be in a hedge by then. Lincoln

If they are not punto alloys make sure the locating studs on the hubs are removed as this is proberbly the problem, if not make sure the sprigott rings are not worn and need replacing/ there is one on that wheel.

In anycase take the wheels off and look for clean areas.

Make sure you cross tighten them afterwards with at least 80 ftlb especially if using wobble bolts.

Good luck hun,

Sounds like it could be the tyre is rubbing on the liner/ arch as the car leans into the corner. My mates Nova SR with 15" wheels (years ago, I might add) did this...

It's a 2002 Punto Dymanic.

I wouldn't have a clue what the off set is, i really dont know that much about cars so anythin techinal is a no no!!!!

The mix up in the shop was, the wheels i wanted origionaly were multi spokes. I picked out a lovley set and paid the deposit. Happy Days.
2 weeks later i went in to pay them off and the guy in the shop told me he'd made a mistake, and that the multi spokes wouldnt fit a punto. He didnt even think to ring me and tell me this :mad:

So i had to pick another set, and went for the wolfrace katanas' He told me that they would fit perfectly with no rubbing, so I thought grand. But it still took them 3 weeks to come in!! Every day i went in he told me they'd be there tomorrow, and that went on for 3 weeks.

Any way getting back to the point, i dont know what spriggot rings or locking bolts are :eek: so what should i be looking for.

I didnt get wobble bolts with them, should i be using them?

Last edited:
I had a look and i think the tyres are rubbing off the shocks.

Theres a kind of arm thing leading down to the tyre and it has marks on it as if it has been rubbed

The noise dosent happen that often but im wondering if it's doing any harm, and would spacers stop this?

Back