General New 500 real world charging time

Currently reading:
General New 500 real world charging time

My dad is thinking of getting one of the new 500s but is wondering how well does the charging really work?

Reason is he likes going to Norfolk which is about 380 miles from us and the range of the new 500 says about 199 miles so would need to charge half way.

The home charging takes 4 hours right? But are there superchargers or what not like the Tesla that can turbo charge them up the motorway?

I guess then the ultimate question is what's the fastest I can charge a new 500?

My dad is thinking of getting one of the new 500s but is wondering how well does the charging really work?

Reason is he likes going to Norfolk which is about 380 miles from us and the range of the new 500 says about 199 miles so would need to charge half way.

The home charging takes 4 hours right? But are there superchargers or what not like the Tesla that can turbo charge them up the motorway?

I guess then the ultimate question is what's the fastest I can charge a new 500?

Firstly, both read lots.

Secondly look at the likes of ZapMap and ABRP (A Better Route Planner) to get an idea of where chargers are and what speed they are. The 500, for fast charging, uses CCS connector which is very common. At the most it can charge at 85KW so in theory would charge from zero to 100% in 33 minutes. In reality the majority of UK fast chargers are up to 50kw at the moment. Also you don't run an EV down to 0, ever, you charge little-ish and often. So on a 380 mile journey you'd expect to charge at least twice. You'll probably say that takes too long but it really isn't so bad. You plug in, wander off for a pee & coffee and 20-25 minutes later you're good to go.

Read around, you'll learn lots.

• Thanks
Reactions: ben
You'd never let it get to zero for a start. And on a run you'd probably not go over 80% as that last 20% takes longer.

As for degradation you'll get different answers. I think though that in a modern with good battery management (by the car not you) essentially the answer is really no.

Reactions: ben
Firstly, both read lots.

Secondly look at the likes of ZapMap and ABRP (A Better Route Planner) to get an idea of where chargers are and what speed they are. The 500, for fast charging, uses CCS connector which is very common. At the most it can charge at 85KW so in theory would charge from zero to 100% in 33 minutes. In reality the majority of UK fast chargers are up to 50kw at the moment. Also you don't run an EV down to 0, ever, you charge little-ish and often. So on a 380 mile journey you'd expect to charge at least twice. You'll probably say that takes too long but it really isn't so bad. You plug in, wander off for a pee & coffee and 20-25 minutes later you're good to go.

Read around, you'll learn lots.
Pretty much this. Real range is nearer 150 miles than 199 miles and less still if you drive at 70mph. Probably one thing to add is that CCS charging is fastest when battery is in a 20-80% state of charge and slows down in the 80-100% zone so it can sometimes be more time efficient to not always rapid charge to full.

Why was the event last week.. (n)

Only Ads I saw were 500e on Motability..

Im not that bad yet.. :rolleyes:
Hi,
Our standard highway stretches with the 500E La Prima 3+1 that we have are about 220-260 km. Summertime range is around 250 km, wintertime around 180 km. We have a favourite half-way reasonably-charged fast-charging place where we stop, have a hamburger or a nice Asian buffet meal. It takes a little longer than with a petrol car, counting the food stops!

Back