500 New 500 owner

Currently reading:
500 New 500 owner

RetroPug

Hi all I’ve just purchased a 2010 1.2 sport for my daughter as her first car. It will be a Christmas /birthday/exam results present so Dad’s the word!? It needs a bit of love as it has a damaged front bumper and probably needs the bonnet repainting. Mechanically it seems strong though.

I’ve owned a few fiats myself over the years including a 1.6 1997 Fiat Bravo and a 1996 20v Turbo Coupe the latter I really regret letting go.

I own some other bits and pieces, 1991 205 GTI, 1989 Porsche 944 and a 1982 Fiesta Ghia.

Looking forward to using the forums to especially understand how interchangeable body parts including lighting are across the models, sharing and hopefully participating in the forums knowledge!

Cheers
John.

If it's a present once you've had the bumper fixed and the whole car polished consider new badges(look carefully they'll be all bubble) and new number plates, consider having the wheels re finished?
There are some well known minor issues to check before handing over
Rear hatch wiring (does everything work correctly?)
Engine earth strap cheap and easy to replace.
Sump.
Rear axle can rust away
Blue and me is crap, consider replacing with aftermarket radio
Suspension probably needs some tlc
Headlamp upgrade bulbs/ polish lenses?

If it's a present once you've had the bumper fixed and the whole car polished consider new badges(look carefully they'll be all bubble) and new number plates, consider having the wheels re finished?
There are some well known minor issues to check before handing over
Rear hatch wiring (does everything work correctly?)
Engine earth strap cheap and easy to replace.
Sump.
Rear axle can rust away
Blue and me is crap, consider replacing with aftermarket radio
Suspension probably needs some tlc
Headlamp upgrade bulbs/ polish lenses?
As you say rear axle rusts. It would be worth getting the body shop to spray a bit of waxoyl on it, or do it yourself if you’re that way inclined.

As John has mentioned:all the above need checking for wear/corrosion.. the beautiful little 500s we all love but sometimes hate 😂 do have a few weak points
All the better if you’re willing & able to do the work yourself 👍 parts are generally cheap to buy 2nd hand even better club500italia are great for genuine 2nd hand parts!
Brakes are simple to replace takes me 20 mins these days!
Also check air filters are up to scratch upgrade to iridium spark plugs you will thank me for it later!
Make sure above ALL else the coolant is not allowed to run low!!

These beauties are easy to service and cheap to run if they are looked after!

That’s all I can think of for now my mind is full due to moving house!!! So glad I serviced my car before I moved 😂

Thanks all really helpful steers!!! I’m happy to roll my sleeves up and yes parts look pretty reasonable so that’s a bonus. It does appear to be sitting a little high is that usual? Might be just me though.

Thanks all really helpful steers!!! I’m happy to roll my sleeves up and yes parts look pretty reasonable so that’s a bonus. It does appear to be sitting a little high is that usual? Might be just me though.
500s do generally sit “higher” the usual with some people is to lower by using shorter springs or adjustable suspension… in my opinion the car is low enough already 😂 or are speed bumps getting higher !

Back