Never again

Currently reading:
Never again

StevenRB45

Upstanding Member for Newcastle
Newcastle to Oxford and back in a day trip.....10 hours of driving total...in a 10 year old punto...why did i even think it was a good idea????....suppose the bodelian looked nice, tho really can't imagine going to uni there!...anyone else this dumb or is it just a me thing?...

arc

this is where i stand
on thursday i did Blackpool to London to Brighton to Blackpool in a 10 year old Rover. (left Blackpool at 4:30am, got home at 11:30pm) Previous week did it Blackpool to London to Blackpool in a 6month old 1.2 GP.

so you're not the only mad one.

well it is a 16v 85 elx punto lol, i drove 6 hours down to some random camp site in my 8v punto, 60hp with a full car and everyones stuff. i'd call it an adventure :D

In 1998 the band I was in drove from London to Aberdeen, did a gig, then straight after drove all the way back to London in a ratty old diesel Transit minibus. That was a round trip of about 1200 miles and no proper sleep for 48 hours. Never again... :bang:

OP
OP
StevenRB45

StevenRB45

Upstanding Member for Newcastle
tbf its not the longest i've been in a moving car...that was a trip to oban and back in scotland via alston, carlisle, stranraer, glasgow, loch lomond, knockhill, edinburgh and jedburgh....650 miles in one day...on mainly A roads not motorway...in a white 1.3 micra with an exhaust you could lose a mans head in and a K and N...also the owner was liable to race civic type Rs....while 3 up...i've never been so scared or deafened for such a long time...(we set off at 5:30 am got home at 10:30pm)...tho its comforting thats its not just me and ppl i know that do this sort of crap!

bulldog5046

faster! FASTER!!!
Stew has an 800miles round trip today, he left at midnight and he still isnt here in bristol!

We did home ( North West of London) to Berlin in one day in the MGB in 2000, the car was then 33 years old. After the event we did the return in one day as well. We spent about 17 hours travelling, but some of that was on the Ferry. It shouldn't have taken that long but the Dutch Motorway was jammed because some cows had wandered onto it and then argued with a lorry, and this meant in spite of our early start we still hit the traffic in the Ruhr. Only prob was that those old fashioned seats are not as well desinged as modern ones and you knew all about it when you got out. And yes, we were mad. The car that used to just glide through any distance was the Tempra TD, the 420+ miles from here to Mrs Rs relies in Scotland were water of a ducks back to that car, it used to arrive with plenty of fuel left in the tank and it did not feel as though the journey had stressed it at all. Seats were comfortable as well.

faster4_tec

Burninator of threads!
14=16hours driving from calais to just inside the austrian border, clocked at 720, or 780miles depending whose meter we went off (they were THAT far out from each other).
neither car could manage more than a displayed 55mph due to the amount of stuff we had attached to them. so really 50, then stopping a few times.
yeah, twas hard

The longest car journey I ever did (as a passenger) was from Miami in Florida to Montreal in Canada. That was about 1750 miles in two days only stopping for one night!

Longest coach trip I ever did was from Munich in Germany to Malaga in southern Spain. I don't know the distance but what I do remember was sitting on a bus for nigh on 37 hours...

These days I'd rather take a plane unless it's going to be a scenic route!

faster4_tec

Burninator of threads!
if bus trips count, last year on an offroad minibus (UAZ 452) from olgii in western mongolia to the capital ulan bataar, 1200miles (or more) taking 4days, first two nights we got hotels, the last 2days it was a straight drive, stopping once every 4-5hours for toilet (behind van ;) ) and food etc out of a tin (mmm russian tinned meaty fishy stuff, makes you make unpleasent smells like never before!).

anyway, 4days, off road, 6 of us in a van, bounced about, dust in every orifice. and maybe 20km of tarmac at the end before you roll into the city :eek: oh, and we got arrested, TWICE!!!

twas god aweful (n)

Venters

bairns, not bombs.
Zurich to kirkcaldy in 48 hours with 2 of us sharing the driving.
Or 862 miles in 30 hours kirkcaldy to Castle Combe Eurofest and back driving just myself.

Nuova500

Czech It Out!
my longest was from Nuremberg in Germany to New Milton in Hampshire in August... was in the MR2 so hardly felt Id done it. Drove the 126 to Brugge and back in a day once, that was a killer!

100hpJames

Has sport button disease
Did a trip from nuneaton to newquay and back in a day, that was roughly 10 hours driving, in a 12 year old cinq sporting, I can still hear the 70mph engine whine.......and the alternator bearings the next day lol

Lupi

Formally, The Corsa Owner
Year 8 coach trip, London to south of france :yuck: never been so uncomfortable/ bored. No leg room in a coach n i need it! lol:p

FDF

Marea Scrappaged :(
I did Ljubljana, Slovenia to Metz, France in 9 hours. That was a very long day, raining all the way to Munich then heavy traffic round Munich and Stuttgart. Did it in the 20V Marea, about 6 months after I bought it, thats when I really found out how good the Marea is.