Technical neon lighting!

Currently reading:
Technical neon lighting!

seeings as i need a new power cable for my ice i was thinkin about stickin some neons in at the same time!

could i run the amp power cable through a distribution block, then take a feed off that for footwell neons and one in the boot, and wire those neons into a switch next to the window wipers?

also could i then at a later date take another feed off for some under car neons and maybe if i have to wire them to a seperate switch, if not the same one as the interior ones?

i kno that i would need a better battery, am thinkin of gettin one of those yellow top ones! heard they are pretty decent, if so where can i get one?

thoughts anyone?

ive used cold cathodes to light the inside of my car. They need a regulated 12v supply (running them without one with the engine on would cook them cos the voltage was too high). The 12v regulator is fed from the same feed as the stero, and then a cable runs from that to the back to power the boot lights

2107lightadjustor_and_neons.jpg

that blue button switches them front ones on, and in the boot theres a push to break switch so the boot ones come on when you open the boot

awesome... i am sure i can get some ones with built in resistors for interiors, cant b dealin with messin with all that!

u got a pic of the wiring in the boot as i would like to have the neon com on when the boot is opened as well but am not too hot on that sort of thing.

would my idea of the distribution block work tho?

and could i wire the under cars to the same switch as the interiors once i have them?

Make sure you use cable of the appropriate loading. After the calculation of the total potential load, plus a bit, put in a cable to that spec to your distribution board, put an inline fuse holder in, and then put a fuse of the value of your current (pun not intended) set up in it.

As you add stuff, increase the fuse accordingly.

I would then take fused supplies from that distribution board, again to ensure safety.

Any wires passing through a bulkhead, grommet please.

Make sure the cabling is secured firmly, wobbly cabple leads to strand breakage.

Cheers

D

couldnt i just use the wire that comes with the neons? and u say put a fuse before the block, and on the amp power cable after the block? makes sence

yea knew about the grommit through the bulkhead and securing the wiring and block but thanks for the advice about the fuses!

the more fuses the better, better to protect each circuit individually than just the lot as one.

il get some pics of my wiring later, im still in uni at the mo.

i prefer having the regulator because then i know i have a regualted 12v supply at the front and rear should i need it.

the only problem i can see with running the amp and neons through a distribution box is that you *might* depending on the quality of the neons - you may get noise on the supply to the amp

ahhh right then, so fuse each component that comes off the block.

and how do i kno wat amp fuses to use?

and i didnt even think about noise on the amp! bugger.... i might have to save up an get some decent neons then, just do the ICE now.

with all these fuses an cables this is gettin more an more expensive by the minute lol!

bumpy bump

pics a little late, but here they are.

i know its scruffy, but its not finished - it was done quickly, and ive not had time to neaten it all up!

Attachments

• boot_light_switch.jpg
    boot_light_switch.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31
I've just fitted some CCFLs in the footwells of my cinq also.
I must say its a little easier to get a good hidden position for the tube on the passenger's side that driver's!
I'm not sure what u guys are on about regulators... although the blue ebuyer CCFLs may already have some in the black box ;)

FYI I would recomend people to do the same as I have with the wiring: Connect the power to the illumination ring 12V & grnd of the cigar lighter (CCFLs come on with the headlights :)).

P.S. Interesting to see (on piccy above) what *should* be in position of the blanking plates of my cinq S!

if i were you.. i'd look into some way of regulating the supply to them. I have regualted 12v supply that runs from front to rear of me car. With the engine running, a car jumps to 13.8v which over a bit of time will kill the invertors that come with the cathodes. Ive had this happen on two cars, they still work - but the tubes dont light all the way down.

hehe, yeah - electric window controls, then the other is a headlight beam adjustor.. but then not many sportings have those either :D

Back