Technical Negotiating Dealer Repair Cost?

Currently reading:
Technical Negotiating Dealer Repair Cost?

Okay guys, I feel rather stupid for ever doubting it now. I did checkout the FPT website and damn can Fiat fair build engines!!! Seriously, if the average person knew how many applications they're designing engines and power solutions for maybe they'd stop before laughing at some of the small city cars we own and love..

:worship: Shop4Parts + FiatForum :worship: < for my genuine parts :D

So, some final minor questions...

- When we get the timing covers off, how do we ensure the cogs 'stay' at top dead centre? Do you put a little bolt inside it? Or does it not matter, so long as they're all in line with the marks on the belt?

- Does the car go in-gear or in neutral during the repair? Does being in gear stop the engine from moving or what?

- What is that little short hand tool with the bend in it that can take sockets called so I can invest in one? (also that little tweezer looking tool that has two pin like prongs to go into the tensioner) :)

- Am I right to think, "Okay, I'll follow religiously that Ford Ka video on YouTube and refer to the Guide section for further confirmation" or is there some key differences from the video I should be aware of?

- Can I re-use my coolant or is it best to go and get a new lot of £20 coolant from Halfords?

- How do I make sure it won't slip off? Saw a guy on here from a few years back who discovered his timing belt was grinding into the side of the engine.. nightmare scenario for me as that'd mean buying new parts and engine damage probably?!

- How can I be sure my Water Pump will be 110% sealed? The fear of discovering a drip when we've just had the car put back together is a bit scary. The pump did not come with a rubber or paper gasket, I am simply going to apply some of the recommended sealant I ordered like 'toothpaste' and the German guys video.

Thanks again, and sorry for adding to my never ending questions, but it's happening now: I'm doing the timing belt, water pump, alternator belt and tensioner - they've all been ordered, no going back! If it wasn't for the forum I'd still never have contemplated doing such a big job and I am eternally grateful. Every mile clocked from hereon of the Panda is credited to the Fiat Forum :worship: :slayer:

On Sunday, doing a trip to a place called Torr Head - my current timing belt's last big journey! That bull of a thing has done 105,000 miles over ten years... hope this doesn't push it over the edge... free Fiat breakdown cover just in case ;)

okay guys, i feel rather stupid for ever doubting it now. I did checkout the fpt website and damn can fiat fair build engines!!! Seriously, if the average person knew how many applications they're designing engines and power solutions for maybe they'd stop before laughing at some of the small city cars we own and love..

:worship: Shop4parts + fiatforum :worship: < for my genuine parts :d

so, some final minor questions...

- when we get the timing covers off, how do we ensure the cogs 'stay' at top dead centre? Do you put a little bolt inside it? Or does it not matter, so long as they're all in line with the marks on the belt?

you can hand crank the engine to wherever you want it. Then see below

- does the car go in-gear or in neutral during the repair? Does being in gear stop the engine from moving or what?

i just put it out of gear and no it didnt move and even if it does thats what the timing marks are for.

- what is that little short hand tool with the bend in it that can take sockets called so i can invest in one? (also that little tweezer looking tool that has two pin like prongs to go into the tensioner) :)

yours will have a different tensioner to the ka and new panda, its just a 8mm? Bolt its easier.

- am i right to think, "okay, i'll follow religiously that ford ka video on youtube and refer to the guide section for further confirmation" or is there some key differences from the video i should be aware of?

- can i re-use my coolant or is it best to go and get a new lot of £20 coolant from halfords?

buy new it wont cost £20 its £8 from car parts for less ready mixed.

- how do i make sure it won't slip off? Saw a guy on here from a few years back who discovered his timing belt was grinding into the side of the engine.. Nightmare scenario for me as that'd mean buying new parts and engine damage probably?!

hand crank it first! You'll know.

- how can i be sure my water pump will be 110% sealed? The fear of discovering a drip when we've just had the car put back together is a bit scary. The pump did not come with a rubber or paper gasket, i am simply going to apply some of the recommended sealant i ordered like 'toothpaste' and the german guys video.

you can never be 100% sure of anything, if you follow the instructions its the best you can hope for. That german bloke painted it on, everywhere. Imo thats not needed, youre not gluing anything youre just gasketing the metal on metal surface.

thanks again, and sorry for adding to my never ending questions, but it's happening now: I'm doing the timing belt, water pump, alternator belt and tensioner - they've all been ordered, no going back! If it wasn't for the forum i'd still never have contemplated doing such a big job and i am eternally grateful. Every mile clocked from hereon of the panda is credited to the fiat forum :worship: :slayer:

on sunday, doing a trip to a place called torr head - my current timing belt's last big journey! That bull of a thing has done 105,000 miles over ten years... Hope this doesn't push it over the edge... Free fiat breakdown cover just in case ;)

Thanks, starting to feel a lot more confident about this job.

Maybe if the post can deliver the auxiliary-belt and the gasket sealer today then we could get it started tonight!

Got some coolant, it's OAT/pink 5L of concentrate, got it for £16 at Gardiner Motaquip - different brand but I am led to believe it doesn't make a difference? Should be safe to pour half of the concentrate into the empty old ready mixed Halfords 5L bottle and fill them both to the top with water to get a perfect 50/50 mix? (just an easy method)

Should I take care / act any different whilst driving the car once it's had all the new stuff fitted to try and easy the settling in period or is this not something the driver should be concerned with?

Back