General Neglected 2001 Punto 1.2 8v needs attention

Currently reading:
General Neglected 2001 Punto 1.2 8v needs attention

my temp gauge on dash is just under middle and the heater is mildly warm so id say my stat is partially stuck open like a previous poster said so ill order one soon.
cheers

If the heater will continue to be just warm after you replace the stat, you'll need to fix the heater. I recommend to clean it instead of replacing it (I was adviced by "mechanics" to replace it, but you need to take the dash board down to be able to access the heater).
So I've discovered the best way you can clean the heater (actually clean the entire cooling system) and my heater still works great, no problem after I did that. Here is the guide:
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/484403-i-fixed-car-heater-little-radiator-inside-car.html

Thanks mike i plan to clean it out when i do the timing belt and waterpump, i havent got a new stat yet as i have a round of parts to get and ive a discount code for mister auto!

in other news my car went for its Nct (Mot) two days ago, failing on the slide/slip test (tracking) so i went today and got it tracked and booked in for a retest tomoro at 12:30.

i have a problem though, i noticed after the tracking my car went from pulling to the left to now wanting to ho right with the steering in the 12 position, i went back and the tech is adamant its straight and i even offered to pay for another tracking just to double check!

he said waste of money if your car fails its retest tomorrow that he will retrack it for free and pay for its retest, ive been doing this a long time and i believe its just too far outside the limit to pass who knows. my camber is out but no adjustable also

So my punto "rusty" has got through its nct! has 13 months roadworthyness! so to celebrate i fitted a new timing belt and waterpump and fresh coolant!

i do have a question though, i lined up the timing marks and placed the new belts marks at them also but when i spin the engine the belt marks dont come back around to the timing marks again, what us their purpose just for initial setup? as my timing marks all corresponded with each other and car is smooth as.

the old belt had allowed the timing to be out approx a tooth. seemed to be what was causing my slight miss at idle.

yes i was actually thinking sbout the PAS as being involved but it passed as the steering wheel being slightly off center wont bother me day to day.

i seem to be struggling to bleed the air out of the system well i think i am, i gave a lot of time to it but it seems the temp gauge is slighly erratic it seems to bounce down to 1/4 and go back up to middle every now and again, i took it for a long drive then and it seemed fine gauge still a bit up and down but not severely.

my temp from heaters is hotish still but has been toasty at times still seems to go lukewarm from hot if heater is put on high while idling. on the plus side the outside fan is working thats a plus.

any ideas should i bleed for air again or what? it doesnt gurgle from the dash either

yes i was actually thinking sbout the PAS as being involved but it passed as the steering wheel being slightly off center wont bother me day to day.

i seem to be struggling to bleed the air out of the system well i think i am, i gave a lot of time to it but it seems the temp gauge is slighly erratic it seems to bounce down to 1/4 and go back up to middle every now and again, i took it for a long drive then and it seemed fine gauge still a bit up and down but not severely.

my temp from heaters is hotish still but has been toasty at times still seems to go lukewarm from hot if heater is put on high while idling. on the plus side the outside fan is working thats a plus.

any ideas should i bleed for air again or what? it doesnt gurgle from the dash either

Have you replaced the thermostat??

not yet judderbar as from reading on here i should go with an oem unit, i can get a gates unit for €5 on mr auto but i didnt order as i wasnt sure if mine was furbar, doest the thermostate cause erratic temp gauge? i have a new temp sensor somewhere that suits the punto i think

from futher driving it only tends to drop temp when idle and if i freewheel in neutral down a hill, but otherwise my heater is blasting out the heat now, id reckon my thermostat is stuck open or removed, i wish i changed it while doing the timing belt etc as now my system has all new coolant and its bled out ?

my gearbox mount at rear seems to be causing my exhaust to rattle also wobbley engine when changing gear etc do they normally wear out?

I have a lot of experience with this model vehicle.
A lot of those problems you highlighted are for real. You will find that at every, roughly 50 000 kms the top gasket needs to be fixed on engine as it is prone to leaking. Yup. Steering wheel light on and steering is semi locked at times. Electrical issues. Make sure you change coolant in these things properly. Very prone to overheating and the system needs to be bled properly from air or else it overheats. Coolant rusts quickly within a year. Needs thorough flush

You've got yourself a real project there! Everything's failed anyway but well a hobby it is. (y)

my gearbox mount at rear seems to be causing my exhaust to rattle also wobbley engine when changing gear etc do they normally wear out?

Yeah, mine wobbles when I stop accelerating, also does a clanking metal sound 😅. Especially on low gears. I have to change them.

Back