Technical Need your advice

Currently reading:
Technical Need your advice

Yoppy

iv got a fiat ducato x230 1999. Motorhome...does my model have a cabin filter if so where..plus I can not find any OBD socket iv looked every where..thanks guys and stay safe ?

I would not expect a 1999 Ducato to have an OBD port, as the vehicle will not have an electronically controlled common rail engine (JTD). These engines (originally 2.8JTD and 2.0JTD) were only introduced in 2000, and fitted to some later x230 Ducatos, between 2000 and 2002 when the x244 version was launched.

The post 2000 x230 models with JTD engines had a three pole OBD connector near the air filter. I think that photos of this these early OBD ports have been included in a previous thead.

I think that vintage only had a pollen/cabin filter fitted with the aircon option (and even then, sometimes not).

The instructions here:

...should help you locate it if you have one. (Note, it covers first the '94 Ducato (yours) and then the '02 facelift, which use the same filter, but the access on the latter was improved quite a bit.

Hi Woodbeck,

A 2.8hdi is a 2.8jtd with a different name. It is a common rail engine, which means that it has an ECU, which will require a diagnostic port. However early HDi/JTD engined vehicles were fitted with a 3 pole OBD connector (2 wires connected) in the engine, close to the air filter and ECU.

The following is copied from a much earlier post by @BGD.

"The diagnostic plug socket on our 2001 2.8 JTD Ducato (as you stand looking into the bonnet, ie looking rearwards) is on the right side of the engine bay, near the air filter (the big black cylindrical thing at the back right of the engine bay).
It is NOT a three pin plug with THREE wires coming from it (if you have one there...that is for the ABS system if fitted), but it is the three pin plug nearby with only TWO wires coming from it.
Its centre wire is black, its left hand wire is white & red, and nothing comes from the right hand pin.**
Most garages need to use an adaptor to get your Ducato diagnostic plug fitted to their diagnostic kit, and many garages/breakdown people don't have the right adaptor, or don't know how to hook it up, which is why I always carry one in the MH, together with the written instructions below on how to use it.**
Connection of adaptor lead:-
Tape off the end of the Black connector of the multi-purpose adaptor cable, so it can't touch anything metal under the bonnet.
Connect the Red wire of the multi-purpose adaptor to positive (red) terminal of vehicle battery.
Connect the Green lead of multi-purpose adaptor to the left hand pin of the ECU connector (the White and Red wire).
Connect nothing to the ECU connector centre Black wire.
DO NOT at this point connect the black earth wire of the multi purpose adaptor to the negative terminal on the battery, nor let it touch anything metal in the vehicle.
Now try the system. If it works, then DO NOT connect that black earth wire to anything.
ONLY if the diagnostics computer doesn't work , then also undo the tape on end of the Black wire of the multi-purpose lead, and connect it to the negative (black) terminal of vehicle battery, and try the diagnostics system again."

Back