Need to stop smoking

Currently reading:
Need to stop smoking

boyonthehill

I need to stop :rolleyes: it's ****ing my lungs up. I want to get into shape again. I've tried cold turkey but its not working, everyday I end up with a new pack of Marlboro Lights in my hand, and its gone before the day is out. I've resorted to buying only 10 packs, before I was having about 15 a day. I've gone to the doctors & i'm going to get a one-to-one next week sometime (I hope).

I'm going through this right now...

I got given patches by the stop smoking nurse, but didn't like them. They gave me terrible and violent nightmares :eek: Tried them for a week, then bought another packet of ciggies to stop the sleepless nights...

Am currently giving it another go by cold turkey and will power. This is better, just feel very tired most of the time instead, but am sleeping ok at nights.

Also, there are NO REAL PHYSICAL WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS! I really, really, really want to have a cigarette, but my body isn't going into convulsions, tremours, cramps etc. because it isn't having one. The addiction is psychological and habitual mainly, triggered in part by nicotine withdrawal.

What I am missing is the excuse to go and have one, to pop outside for a few minutes, to have a cup of tea. It's the association of having a cigarette with something pleasurable that I'm missing, so really the main issue is that there is something missing in my life at the moment.

I shall perservere, and they reckon it takes 3 weeks for the nicotine dependency to fully leave the body. It only takes 24 hours for nicotine to be eradicated from the body, so right now I have none in me. Just the memory of it and some sort of craving, but this is not Class A drug like craving.

Others have sworn by the patches method, so don't take what I say as gospel. The only way to find out is to try them.

Good luck!

Yeah one of my mates told me the patches stung him... weird. Hopefully there will be some method that works for me. No doubt I will have another pack by 8 tomorrow :rolleyes:

Well have some words of encouragement. I stopped smoking at the start of last year, for me there was no wonder patch or gum or inhaler.
I did it with will power and the knowledge that one of my best friends had developed throat cancer. We quit at the same time, it was easier to do because we worked together. As it was the stress of work that always made it difficult to go a whole day without a cig. I put on weight with extra food. Gary lost weight with the treatment. He went into remition and all seems fine now but we both still do not smoke. I don't think I ever will again now.
For me it didn't really matter that I knew smoking killed. Until It nearly did.
It's not easy but if you have the want to stop you will.(y)

I just stopped, had a phone call from a mate one day who told me my old work buddy was going into hospital with lung cancer as a result of smoking:eek: Scared the hell outta me, quit there and then with no thought. That was 3 years ago. Ain't touched a smoke since.

i have to agree alot with Uno45s (sorry, dont know your name :eek: ) that the vast majority of the addiction is psychological and habitual. you have your set routines for the majority of ciggies you have in a day.

im a heavy ish smoker at 20 a day on a quiet day, part of me wants to give up, yet another part of me doesnt, for me smoking is my time out during the day to collect my thoughts and get my head together, especially when at work and its beyond manic like it is atm... 20 hour days! :eek:

plus im fortunate enough not to have to wory about the financial aspect of smoking, so all i have is the health risk, but i look at each packet of cigs, see the warnings and i guess im blase about it and think, well it may not happen...

best of luck to you, and i could well be joining you in the non smoking group soon, who knows

i think the biggest hurdle is wanting to stop. yes you know you should, and if you dont you'll probably die sooner, and its a waste of money, and it stinks, but unless you actually want to stop it will never happen. I've been smoking 10 a day for about 10 years, thats about 36500 ciggies!!! even worse, i smoke about 3 joints a day and they dont have a filter. thats really bad for me!!

i worry about the effects, and i feel like a right scrubber when i'm smoking, but i dont actually want to stop yet. i dont know what to do to make myself feel the need to quit. there's no single good reason to smoke, and a million reasons not to, but for some stupid reason i want to. i've beaten a few addictions in my time but this one is really tough. :bang:

think i'll go for a tab break right now and feel the guilt :eek:

Jugs hit the nail on the head. everyone knows they shouldn't, but without that reason to stop. Proper reason that is. Not just the packet telling you to or the 15 minute coughing fit in the morning. you will never be able stop

Thanks, I agree with what has been said. I am used to having a tab between getting out my car and walking up to the metro, then before and after lectures. I should stop but for some insane reason I don't want to. I can't really afford it either, im >£500 overdrawn. Well I got a pack of 10 today

But! I've also been to boots and got some patches. I'll give them a go from tomorrow. Smoking 10 Marlboro Lights gives only 5 mg nicotine, yet these patches release 15 mg throughout the day. Would this make me more addicted?!

I smoke every now and then during nights out. I resisted for several weeks, had a smoke one night and felt so awful the next morning it put me off completely. I sometimes have moments where I fancy a smoke but I much prefer the freer breathing and clean lungs way of life.

well good luck with it!

i did stop for about a year... was in hospital and hadnt had one for like a week. so kinda thought well why bother.... but started again... dont no why, silly i guess.

in the past five weeks i`ve gone from 20+ a day to 5 a day but kinda back up to 20 now.

I might give up one day. but when im ready not cos someone says i should.

I gave up 2 years ago the best thing i could have done...i had patches on for 4 days and never looked back, good luck im sure you will be fine and alot fitter lol (y)

I gave up 3 years ago. I set a date and told myself on the build up to that date that "as from then, I will not smoke". I didn't use patches or chewing gum, just willpower.

I didn't change my routine either. As mentioned further up this thread, the missing the excuse to go outside etc.

There were 2 of us at work who smoked. When I stopped, the other girl did for about a week then started again. We never changed the routine at work. Outside with coffee at break time etc except I just had the coffee and fresh air ! Even at home, the times I would nip outside for a smoke, I still nipped outside but just didn't smoke. I did something else.

I did have a few urges during the first six months but now the smell of smoke just makes me feel ill. I get really annoyed with 'inconsiderate smokers' who smoke on the station platform etc.

Good luck to everybody trying to stop. Just set your mind to it and stop ! You can do it :)

Well, I resisted the temptation to buy some cigs at the metro, I've got my patch on. It was pissing me off at first (****ing irritating) but now its all good. I'm working tonight and I always have a smoke there (I work in the pub) so looks like tonight it going to be a toughie

Back