need some advice

Currently reading:
need some advice

Charly

hey, i've got a 96 bravo 1.6. My clutch pedal seems to have dropped over night and i have no idea why, im also having some trouble getting into 4th:confused: I've just lost my free mechanic lol so any advice would be helpful.

Do i need a new clutch, gear box or something silly like clutch fluid?

Thanks Charly:p

the most likely option is a leaking slave cylinder. its a small piston that sits on top of the gearbox. it is a very common problem (especially at this time of year for some strange reason).

check your brake fluid, it is also the clutch fluid, and if there is a leak the level will be down below max (and probably below min by now).

if the level has dropped look on top of the gearbox for a wet patch. if you see the wet patch then you can be fairly certain the problem is a leaking slave cylidner.

replacing the slave cylinder is easy enough, and they cost less than £30 to buy new at a motor factor.

shame you lost your free mechanic, i guess that was your boyfriend? fingers crossed you have a family member or friend who could help out.

Last edited:
Yeah that would be the boyfriend lol and unfortunately no-one in my family knows cars, well apart from my dad but he lives in turkey lol so not much help...

So imagine me doing it on my own lol and being a girl that doesnt know to much about engines, where do i put my brake fluid or check its level??

Sorry for being a spaz but least im trying to learn lol...
Do i get points for effort?:confused:

Charly:p

to make life easier i've attached a pic for you so you can see where the brake fluid reservoir is. on the side it says max and min so you can check where the fluid level is. if you cant see the fluid level then tap the resrvoir so you can see if the fluid is moving at all.

if you lived closer i'd be willing to replace the slave cylinder for you, but you live too far away for me to travel (although a single 20yo damsel in distress is very tempting :D)

at a small local garage, slave cylinder replacement should be approx £50-75 so it isnt an expensive repair.

Attachments

• reservoir.JPG
    reservoir.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 10
Ok well didn't get far lol got in my car after work and my pedal was touching the floor :s I managed to lift it bk to normal but I havent driven it yet
does this still sound like the above?

Charly:p

Back