Need new battery...recommendations!

Currently reading:
Need new battery...recommendations!

P

Paul R

Ok... Need a new battery! dont want to pay a fortune but if i have to i will, just want a reliable battery which can take my sound system! i have a cap on the way!

Suggestions anyone?

Paul R

Pics below of sound system...and what it has to power!

eba00452228f00000001.jpg
eba00452228f00000003.jpg
Bravo-2-010.gif

+PLUS+ Xbox!

bin the cap, waste of money.

Do you plan to run the system with the engine off for any length of time?

Dont tell me to bin the CAP! i just bought it off tafi!!! Will i not gain anything from having it in there! i paid £45 for it!

I dont plan to play the system for prolonged time but i would like to play it with the engine off without worrying about the batery dieing! i have an uprated alternator on the car also (it that helps decide the battery!)

How long is 'length of time'? couple of tracks? or while i clean the car? something like that! not leave it running at mc d's for the whole night or anything like that...that aint my 'scene'! (politest way i could say it)

Paul R

the alternator is rated at either 110 or 120 amps? the standard one is about 85amps... is that right? I called the bloke who had it fitted and its been on there a while and he can not remember exactly but that sound right?

Paul R

Do you plan to run it more than 10 mins with the engine off?

Do you know if the alternator wire has been upgraded?

ment to say... but does that sound abot right? NOT but that sound right? lol.... My english is good! its just my bloody fingers and key boards dont get on....my brain doesnt conect with the keyboard very well!

Paul R

The cable isnt uprated!

10mins probably at the most, i should be able to hover the car in 10mins....

Paul R

WELL...10mins at most at high volume! possibly longer at a lower volume...say half volume!

Paul R

Cool!!

Like in Back to the Future part2 - how much for the hover conversion kit?!

The cable NEEDS to be uprated for that alt, its not capable of the current.

You should be able to get away with a normal battery, a bosch silver or a varta silver dynamic.

If you want to play for any longer then its exide maxxima or optima yellow top territory.

Yeah, i would have uprated it before... but i have only just found out myself!!! when i called him up about the rating n the alternator! Are we talking special cable here or any cable that can take 110/120 amps?

Is there a big jump in price to the yellow tops and exide maxxima's??? what would you fit in your car? Also, i know i am being a tart but is the bosch one actually sliver to look at aswell! (got to be colour coordinated if poss! :) )

re

i had a optima yellow top and watcha dvd with sound at probably half volume and still turned over strong!

had to lose it as it woudln't fit in my engine bay with new engine though!

managed to sell it for 140 squid on ebay still! second hand!

good when i only paid 115 new! hehe

but they wouldnt sell me any more at that price unfortunately!

i agree my power cap is useless, lights still dip etc etc

Just use some 8 or 4 guage with a ring terminal, there should be a bolt terminal on the back of the alternator. Run from that to the battery. (leaving the old wire on the alt too)

I run a varta silver dynmaic.

The exide and optimas are around the £200 mark.

Re: re

Your lights dip most likely cos your engine/battery wiring is not up to the job :)

:( :( :( :( £200 :( :( :( :(

Well, how much for the bosch then? are they any good?

As i have loads of 4gauge i will use that! Just run it straight from alt to battery yeah?

Will i be able to get away with a lesser battery with the decent alternator? but i guess that only makes a difference when the engine is running?

Paul R

the alt only does anything with the engine running :)

A varta or bosch will be about £80.