General Need help understanding the difference between Fiat 500 Pop and Fiat 500 Lounge

Currently reading:
General Need help understanding the difference between Fiat 500 Pop and Fiat 500 Lounge

Lupo765

I'm looking into buying my (used) first car and I don't know a lot about fiat 500's(UK) Preferably looking at Fiat 500 2012-2014. I'm not sure between these 500's

Fiat 500 Lounge 2013 Lounge 1.2 and Fiat 500 2013 Pop

They look the same but what's the general difference between Pop and Lounge?

And also what's the difference between Lounge and Cult?

Many thanks :)

As far as I’m aware the “pop” is the basic version on the 500
I only know this as I had a pop and trust me ..... it’s basic ?
No extras like blue & me media (Bluetooth)

So I traded up to a lounge spec
There are a lot of things to look out for on an aging 500 I’m sure a few more people will advise my first thoughts are to look at....

The front shock absorber top mounts
The rear beam and springs (underneath rear) both these things are prone to corrosion
Your in the right place for advice so welcome! Don’t be scared to ask questions
We have all learned from owning 500s may as well get some free advice from us!

Pop is basic. No air con, no blue and me (Bluetooth), chrome trim missing from bumpers, no alloys. Lounge has all of those.

...and, perhaps the most obviously distinguishing visual feature, the Lounge has a panoramic glass roof.

But things aren't quite that simple, since the original purchaser could have specified most (but not all) of the lounge features as optional extras on the Pop version - you'll find quite a few 500 pop's with A/C (back in the day, it was an extra £500 if specified when ordering). You could also specify, for example, Pop seats in a Lounge (that one was a no-cost option, and the Pop seats are much easier to keep clean).

Mechanically and performance wise, they're identical (as is the Sport).

The Cult, again, is just a different trim level - but be aware that the specific Cult trim parts will cost an arm and both legs if you ever need to replace them. (this is true for most of the special editions).

If you're buying an 8yr old car, some might say the Pop has less to go wrong (Blue&Me failures are commonly reported here, and the A/C condenser is also a known weakness (I'll bet an 8yr old car won't have many of the fins left intact). And if you break that glass roof (not common, but it does happen), it'll cost well north of £1000 to replace it (and many insurance policies exclude it from the glass cover section).

Some insurers put the Lounge a group higher; if you're young with no no claims history, that could be a factor (but for most, it won't significantly affect the premium).

On a car that old, I'd focus more on getting the soundest one you can find, with a decent service history, than on what colour it is or what additional extras it might or might not have.

Last edited:
...and, perhaps the most obviously distinguishing visual feature, the Lounge has a panoramic glass roof.

But things aren't quite that simple, since the original purchaser could have specified most (but not all) of the lounge features as optional extras on the Pop version - you'll find quite a few 500 pop's with A/C (back in the day, it was an extra £500 if specified when ordering). You could also specify, for example, Pop seats in a Lounge (that one was a no-cost option, and the Pop seats are much easier to keep clean).

Mechanically and performance wise, they're identical (as is the Sport).

The Cult, again, is just a different trim level - but be aware that the specific Cult trim parts will cost an arm and both legs if you ever need to replace them. (this is true for most of the special editions).

If you're buying an 8yr old car, some might say the Pop has less to go wrong (Blue&Me failures are commonly reported here, and the A/C condenser is also a known weakness (I'll bet an 8yr old car won't have many of the fins left intact). And if you break that glass roof (not common, but it does happen), it'll cost well north of £1000 to replace it (and many insurance policies exclude it from the glass cover section).

Some insurers put the Lounge a group higher; if you're young with no no claims history, that could be a factor (but for most, it won't significantly affect the premium).

On a car that old, I'd focus more on getting the soundest one you can find, with a decent service history, than on what colour it is or what additional extras it might or might not have.
If only you had viewed my car with me when I bought it! ?

The Cult is IMHO a very nice version - all the Lounge goodies but with a full leather interior (and FIAT leather is the best*), black roof and spoiler and special alloy wheels. I think it also got the TFT screen in place of the Lounge's regular speedo cluster - though maybe that was just initially.

* Often done by companies like Frau even if not marked as such and hardly any lesser quality than in higher-end Italian stuff...

Welcome. A few tips at www.auto500.co.uk if you are buying (but don't be put off).

Nick

Meanwhile the 500 S is the sportier-looking version. No differences mechanically, but with a bit more attitude: different front and rear bumpers, sporty interior including flat-bottom wheel etc. The classic FIAT sporty makeover which in theory shouldn't affect one's insurance....

Nick

Meanwhile the 500 S is the sportier-looking version. No differences mechanically, but with a bit more attitude: different front and rear bumpers, sporty interior including flat-bottom wheel etc. The classic FIAT sporty makeover which in theory shouldn't affect one's insurance....

Nick
Is the sport version like the lounge with Aircon and Blue & Me or is it like the Pop version?

Nick
Is the sport version like the Pop or the Lounge?

The Sport varies abit depending on the year. I had a 2008 sport which had a 1.4 engine but apart from the slightly bigger more funky alloys, looked very similar. From around 2012 the Sport was revised and now have lower sporty front and rear bumpers, got rid of 1.4 engine and inside has black headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, chrome style gear stick and the seats hug you nicely. The alloys are more sporty looking and come in a gun metal grey.

Bit of both one example is a boot light possibly depending on the year is only fitted to the lounge moddels

Yet the Sport had standard front fog lights, which were optional on the Lounge from launch, certainly for a few years.

The Sport was also only available with 'Black Interior Ambience' (steering wheel, air vents etc) whereas Lounge (and Pop) were available with black or ivory.

Sport had body coloured bumper inserts like the Pop, where Lounge (until 2019/2020) had chrome bits.

When we specced my Mum's 500 Lounge new in 2012, we added the Pop seats (red & ivory) as the Lounge fabric looked like a nightmare for attracting marks, we also added the alloys from the Sport instead of the multi-spokes from the Lounge and added front fog lights. I think we might've ordered a Sport instead, had it not been for the lack of ivory interior ambience and glass roof.

Being pedantic the "Sport" (2008-12) is a different model from the "S" (2013 on), which got a new look with pseudo-Abarth front and rear bumpers, "S" emblazoned half-leather sports seats, flat bottom wheel etc. In 105bhp Twinair spec (from 2014 - also available on Lounge, Cult etc) it's quite a convincing warm hatch, in my humble opinion.

Just to make it even more complicated though, even the "S" has had three incarnations: up to 2014 with the "nobbly" seat centres on single-colour black seats, and mostly (but not exclusively!) Euro 5 engines; 2014 on with Euro 6, the red/blue seat and door card details and the TFT screen; and 2016 on with the "hollow" rear lights, further trim changes and completely redesigned front and rear bumpers. Doubtless even that is a simplification.....!

The "S" brought in my favourite colour for the 500 - Electronica Blue. So good I went out and bought one (a 1.2).

Nick

Last edited:
The "S" brought in my favourite colour for the 500 - Electronica Blue. So good I went out and bought one (a 1.2).

Nick

I second that colour choice. I also bought an S in Electronica blue. 6 speed twin air. I wasn’t expecting the G force meter though ?
I prefer the dark headlining of the S too.

IMG_1265.JPGIMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

Last edited:
Lovely - mine's the same (apart from being 35% down on the power of yours!). Same wheels too - interested to see how long the diamond finish is going to last....

Remind me not to crash into a Toyota HiLux (or whatever that rather substantial vehicle is) - don't really fancy a radiator grille in my face...

Lovely - mine's the same (apart from being 35% down on the power of yours!). Same wheels too - interested to see how long the diamond finish is going to last....

Remind me not to crash into a Toyota HiLux (or whatever that rather substantial vehicle is) - don't really fancy a radiator grille in my face...

So far my wheels are holding up fine and the finish is still looking spankingly new.

It’s a Mitsubishi Challenger. Best avoided, crash wise. Was parked that way to best show the height difference, for another forum’s post. IMG_1692.JPG

Back