Technical need help asap!

Currently reading:
Technical need help asap!

wilko9876

Hi new to the forum and need some help please. A family member has a grande punto '07. Past few days it has been taking longer than normal to start. Then after a short drive yesterday it wouldn't start at all. Like it had a flat battery, no clicking or grinding noises not even trying to turn over. So I tested the battery (1year old) this turned out to be fine on the multimeter. Tested power to starter this was also fine. Tested cranking volts again fine. So I tapped the starter motor whilst it was been cranked and it fired up. So the startor seemed faulty. Baught a new stater motor today. Fitted it. There was two wires to the starter motor that I took off (the old one) a big red wire from battery and a small black wire with a big ring connector on it. These where connected to the same terminal on the startor. At the top (how it was when I took old one off). Put it all back together went to start it and still nothing no cranking no gridding no clicking. Again as if battery is completly flat. But everything seems ok and there is power to starter motor. I'm baffled. Can anyone help. Any help would be much apprieciated. Thanks

Check the earth wire from battery, to gearbox and to car body. Make sure connections are clean and tight. I suspect that the one to the gearbox is not making a good connection.

Ok I'll start there, does it sound like an earth problem? Noticed a very faint humming noise coming from starter solenoid when ignition on. Do you know if the two wires going to same terminal are correct?

Also if earth was bad, I wouldn't get the 12.5v across starter terminal and starter body would I like I do?

Problem fixed. What it was, was the plastic seperator block that goes inbetween the two wires on the same terminal on the starter motor had deteriated and was allowing the two wires to. Touch each other there for sorting the ignition wire out. Easy fix and simple. Cheers for the help guys

Back