Need Advice On New Life

Currently reading:
Need Advice On New Life

SeiJunkie

Ive been a member here for over a year and in that year ive had my fair share of problems but loosing my job and almost being declared bankrupt took the buscuit (my own fault). im going to be 21 on the 24th so need to get my lazy ass out of the hole its in and get a job, but theres the problem i have no GCSE's worth mentioning. so im left with one option that i think would be both beneficial for me and my future and thats to join the royal logistic corps in the army. i know that someone died yesterday from getting hurt in iraq but i dont really care! if your numbers up your numbers up! i only have to do 14 weeks basic training then choose my regiment, by regiment i mean my posistion, then work for 4 years getting my C-E driving licences, city and guilds in whatever they offer(something with engineering). after the 4 years i can return to civilian life with qualifications and enjoy getting prefrence on job interviews and job offers!
I just wanted to know what you guys think i should do, and if you have any other ideas about getting a job/career let me know please.
thanks for reading and for your time!

Why do you want to join the army? Why not the Navy of RAF?

Ive been a member here for over a year and in that year ive had my fair share of problems but loosing my job and almost being declared bankrupt took the buscuit (my own fault). im going to be 21 on the 24th so need to get my lazy ass out of the hole its in and get a job, but theres the problem i have no GCSE's worth mentioning. so im left with one option that i think would be both beneficial for me and my future and thats to join the royal logistic corps in the army. i know that someone died yesterday from getting hurt in iraq but i dont really care! if your numbers up your numbers up! i only have to do 14 weeks basic training then choose my regiment, by regiment i mean my posistion, then work for 4 years getting my C-E driving licences, city and guilds in whatever they offer(something with engineering). after the 4 years i can return to civilian life with qualifications and enjoy getting prefrence on job interviews and job offers!
I just wanted to know what you guys think i should do, and if you have any other ideas about getting a job/career let me know please.

oh brilliant idea mate by time you come out of the forces you be too old too use the engineering degree/nvq/c&g you have obtained

richdoblo120 ... if you can find work that hasnt been taken by the pol's

if you are really interested in engineering then phone the ECITB

oh brilliant idea mate by time you come out of the forces you be too old too use the engineering degree/nvq/c&g you have obtained

its a bit extreme to suggest someone at 24 years old is over the hill!!
be careful how you reply ot this considering my age ;)

www.ecitb.org

Engineering Construction Industry Training Board
Blue Court
Church Lane
Kings Langley
Hertfordshire
WD4 8JP

Main Switchboard - 01923 260000

they offer a vast range of modern apprenticships

i started with them 7 yrs ago i earn a substantial amount every year own a house own my car outright i turned 25 in april i qualified as a class A welder 4/5 yrs ago

21 is the upper limit on age but shouldnt be a problem

there are so much oppertunitys out there for young ppl why loads do degree's and stuff i am not sure ( not knocking any students by the way)

if you require any help getting in too the industry give's a shout

its a bit extreme to suggest someone at 24 years old is over the hill!!
be careful how you reply ot this considering my age ;)

i meant asin prefference too school leaver with the qual's he mentioned

alot of engineering firms would require some one with basic training ie tank stuff would need too do trade peciffics ( tell i did well at school ) which would mean you working along side men on more money per hour than you even after the force training

if you was too jump on the ecitb now by time you get too 23 you could be fully qualified in said trade thus earning more

thanks for the heads up fastfiat but unfortunately i live in london so that address and phone number provided would not help, thanks anyway, it just seems that in todays climate if anyone wanted to get anywhere in london you would have to be from an ethnic minority. ive been for over 25 interviews in 2 months for the training and apprentiship programmes but as said the poles and eastern european people get preference. the intervewers phone me up and say "sorry mate we had a foreign guy after your interview and he offered to learn/work for 15 a day". Im sorry but i have to rent, i own a car and have to pay taxes and national insurance. so 15 a day wont cover me!
so back to the army, my thinking is that if i go and join, get my quallys, leave ill have near as damn it 3 years of pay in bank, and the licences wouldnt have changed.
But i will have a look into these long haul companies to see it theyll train me up. anyone got any names of companies for me because i dont have a clue of any! cheers

thanks vickster had a look and e-mailed an adviser, should get back to me soon. the only problem is if they ask for money as i said im out of work on JSA and cant get a loan because of low credit rating so ill be stuffed if that happens. regarding bus driving im actually too young! but ive been driving for 3 years (no claims). tube driving i never thought about, ill look into that. And as for living in north london i wouldent live up there if you paid me! i live in and around croydon S.E london. so very handy to the M25 and gatwick airport so i will look for jobs there aswell.

Sorry, I meant in London not n London! I too would not live in n London if you paid me (am a S London girl myself!)

How old do you have to be to drive a bus? 25?

Otherwise, van driving for a courier company or suchlike?

there are some big power stations/ petrochem/foodplaces that require engineering ppl

doosan babcock ( formerly mitsui babcock ) have big ground down in london area with tilbury and isle grane

trades men on these kind of places are looking at around £12 - £13 ph or on tilbury they have price work which could see you taking £150 - £500 per shift with lodge travel and bonuses paid too

and as for the ecitb they are based over 165 miles from me they have online applications which can be found here www.ecitb.org.uk they also do some finance stuff which if i am honest i never read but theres plenty of help

you could apply and be working less than an hours drive from home

if you know your area of london well why dont you try for taxi driving will get some cash flowing till you find something worth while

yeh 25 or over is the minimum unfortunately, being 20/21 sucks lol, i really just dont want a job though, i ideally want a career that i can stick at and work up through. i had a chance with BT but i screwed up in the interview! All the van driving jobs advitised at the mo are in N london (parcelline, royal mail, citylink, home delivery service e.t.c). Its so frustrating i dont want to be claiming benifits for much longer, id rather give than take as thats the sort of person i am! ill keep looking still nothing yet from that advisor.
On a Side note vickster, i was only in sutton yesterday doing some shoppping with my mate, it really is a small world, have you ever been to any meets in croydon(purley way) before?

good ideas fastfiat but on that last one you have to pay £800 for your taxi licence, not forgetting insurance and no firm would take me on with a 3 door seicento! lol

why not try the underground???

start off as a station assistant (can be a bit boring but its an excellent way to get your foot in the door - its what i did and now i'm a train driver. also, you can get contacts to the engineering side if thats your bag)

pay is pretty good considering starting at around 22k with free tfl travel and an excellent pension scheme plus you don't need specific qualifications.

(y)

Back