General Need adjustable coilover springs suspension

Currently reading:
General Need adjustable coilover springs suspension

benjamin7

I'm looking for a set of adjustable height suspension coilovers...

KR Coilovers (Argentina, great product)

coiloverse.jpg

i got the picture from:
http://www.turbocollective.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3249&sid=e849ed87f23ceb811a1d7f66736a9d5f

In this set the rear is also adjustable in height. The springs are relocated around the shocks.

I also tried PM to the owner, i tried contacting the complany... I'm from Belgium, Europe, and the manufacture is in Argentina.

Anyone who can help with a good suspension wich is adjustable in height in the front and the rear.

Greetz, Benjamin

Last edited:
Well, i'm making myself a profile to ask the seller if he can support it, for the front suspension it wouldnt be a problem, but the rear suspension will be very hard becouse you dont have a lot of space.

A friend got a fron coil over custom made by a shop, but for the rear it was not adjustable.

I had novitec -70/-50springs with shorter koni shocks (but they had to much wear and it wasnt anymore in warrenty), i still have the springs, also have a second set (dont remember the name for now) -60/-60, also have some other kits, some are stiffer than the other, but for the rear springs they are always to soft, when you remove the rear seats and everything from the rear bay; the rear is very high, i also feel when you remove every possible thing from the back the car suspension dont perform at all, the rear slides a lot. I think it need harder springs.

susp.jpg

susp1t.jpg

* on the back spiral, I had to hit slightly to the bodywork

Becouse between the tire and the bodywork isnt a lot of space when you use wide tires (185 - 195) i think it is very hard.

I ever seen a rear adjustable spring height for a punto gt, maybe thats better?

(i made an account on trade me . nz but still waiting for the verification)

Maybe i just need to start making a home build suspension instead of looking for a good set and sitting for hours on the computer :idea:

Greetz, Benjamin

Additional Notes:
Not height adjustable on the rear

Avo is nice, but not rear adjustable height.

The novitec springs in the front are low enough if you compare the rear (the nose is lower than the back), so if we can lower the back a little bit more (while using stiffer springs becouse otherwise you run into other problems) than you need the front coilovers.

I was just trying to put springs around the rear shocks, springs from an old coilover kit for vw, the springs are 80mm (about 3"), with punto gt rims they can just fit between the tire and the body, i read AVO got 2,25" springs in the front, so it should be possible to use 2,25-2,5"springs (depends on the inner diameter > stock shock bottom is 40mm (1,6") (protecting upper body 50mm (2"))

Greetz, Benjamin

If you relocate the rear springs the rear turrets will need reinforcing. It's one thing to see the damper top push through the rust, another if the whole spring came through :eek:

I agree, thats was what i was thinking also

1) what length are the coilovers? and coilover springs?
Sorry i just install never take lenght
2) what make are the rear coilovers?
http://www.suspensionregulable.com.ar/
3) did you strengthen the rear beam where the coilovers bolt to it?
yes, buy a strengthen 8 grade
4) did you strengthen the turret at the top where the coilover mounts?
No, a friend in argetina have 3 years using the same coilovers and nothing change, run perfect.

Most Uno's i know in this area get rusty at top of the shocks, mainly 3doors models and those who can open the rear window. I cut out (and bore out at the original point-welds) the part of the body wich is rust in my car, and i replace it. Sorry, English is not my main language. I'll post picture.

Greetz, Benjamin

edit1:

maybe its better to make the rear adjustable height like they do for punto gt (i dont know how much more space there is between the rear axle from punto gt)
fkxau35.jpg

Last edited:
Hi benjamin7,

i'm currently working on a rear coilover conversion for my Uno Turbo and have been in contact with the guy whose pics your using. He said the rear turret HAD NOT been reinforced which i think is a little crazy! He did say that the rear beam where the shocks attach too HAD been reinforced though, to take the extra punishment they would receive.

I already have Avo Coilovers on the front, and the rears are Avos (ones that come with the kit), but like you say, they are not coilovers. I intend to contact Avo to buy rear coilovers (you can just specify what bottom mount and what top mount style you need and the length you require and they'll have some made for you. They already have many universal ones already off the shelf which are more than suitalbe, its just making sure the rear turrents and rear beam are strengthened.

I'm going to cut out the original mounting point though, and fit Coilover suitable mounts like the ones below...

5.jpg

Then i'll strengthen the rear beam, and i'm pretty much there ;)

Hope this helps

Dunc

Do you post your project any place, if so please give me the link, i wish i could see the build in steps.

about the Avo springs, are the rear springs stiff (hard, so if you add one person the entire car drops?), about the front springs, do Avo give the info how much the load is?

Greetz, Benjamin

Hi benjamin7,

i'm currently working on a rear coilover conversion for my Uno Turbo and have been in contact with the guy whose pics your using. He said the rear turret HAD NOT been reinforced which i think is a little crazy! He did say that the rear beam where the shocks attach too HAD been reinforced though, to take the extra punishment they would receive.

I already have Avo Coilovers on the front, and the rears are Avos (ones that come with the kit), but like you say, they are not coilovers. I intend to contact Avo to buy rear coilovers (you can just specify what bottom mount and what top mount style you need and the length you require and they'll have some made for you. They already have many universal ones already off the shelf which are more than suitalbe, its just making sure the rear turrents and rear beam are strengthened.

I'm going to cut out the original mounting point though, and fit Coilover suitable mounts like the ones below...

5.jpg

Then i'll strengthen the rear beam, and i'm pretty much there ;)

Hope this helps

Dunc

Will you use 2,5" or 2,25" springs for the rear?
Do you have any idea what is the springload for the front and rear springs for springs? (i would like to know the stock UT springload, springload from lowered aftermarket springs; wich are both to soft (the difrence in a full gastank and empty is just to much height diffrence), and would be highly intrested in what fastroad/rally (not track) cars would use with the same weight as the UT.

Dunc, what is your opinion about an UT with rear seats and evetything removed for lower weight (more hp/kg), when the UT is empty in the back my opinion the rear axle perform very bad on trackdays.

Greetz, Benjamin

Thanks guys for the very interesting info in this thread :)

Personally I think if the back end is too high and "slides a lot", you need softer springs (not stiffer). I believe the only reason to make the rear suspension stiff is if you need to put people/luggage in the back which was, of course, part of the original design purpose of the Uno.

Otherwise I think the back end should be soft with most of the springing being in roll stiffness (i.e. by stiffening the rear beam to reduce body roll). That way the back end will be more tolerant of bumps without upsetting the balance of the car. I hate FWD cars that feel skittery in the back end and unfortunately my Uno Turbo is one of these. My old Alfa 164 is much more 'planted' (though the back end bottoms out with a full load of passengers!), the 156 is hard but not too hard, and the 916 Spider has the most clever multilink setup (wonder if it can be grafted onto an Uno!)

-Alex

Last edited:
An uno had a lot of understeer, but the uno 'll never oversteer, exept when the back was empty, thats what i was pointing for, at least, its what i feel.

I remember i made better low-speed-track times with extra weight in the back than just an empty interior in the back.

When you indeed add 2-3persons in the back the uno feels like any car wich has a trailer (google didnt translate the word skittery :p )

Greetz, Benjamin

Back