Technical Need a power window motor

Currently reading:
Technical Need a power window motor

Mhoffman

Hi everyone!
Anyone know where I can get a power window motor for the driver side of my 1981 Fiat Spider. Can't seem to find one anywhere.

If I can't find one is it possible to install a crank handle?

Thanks for any help. -Mike

I have a spare window motor out of an 81 I would be willing to part with. I can get you pics either tonight or tomorrow if you like. PM me you email and I'll send pics if you want.

The windows are cable driven so all the left and right hardware are the same, just for reference. As for converting to manual, the door is the same the issue is that the hole in the door panel is locatedin a different spot. the emergency crank hole for the electric windows is further forward and lower if memmory serves me right. if you want to convert to manual you will either need to replace the door panel or cut a second hole in the one you have.

i would like to know how hard it is to convert from manual to power windows. it seems like almost no one is on this site. :/

o,that would explain quite a bit,lol...do u happen to know of any US based sites? or how easy it is to convert to power windows? :) the door panels isnt a main worry of mine... :p

i would like to know how hard it is to convert from manual to power windows. it seems like almost no one is on this site. :/

You can convert from power windows to manual very easily. You should have a circular cover on the door panel, which is where the crank would go. You will need to buy manual window regulators (cheap and easily available) and cranks, as the manual regulators are set-up different from the power. Vicks AutoSports claims to offer a similar power window regulator setup (aftermarket), but from what I hear there is a slight modification. I don't know how easy or difficult it is to modify, but chose to stick with OEM parts when it came to the regulators.

I have an 81 Spider, Limited Edition, #366 of 1000 which has the rare power window option. Last year, the pulley (cable) snapped and I had a heck of a time locating a new power window regulator. The motor still works well. Unfortunately, you have to buy the entire unit unless you know how to replace just the cable. But after several months of looking on eBay, I was able to locate two good used ones for a 100 bucks. There is a seller, junkyardbuzzard, selling a couple of them as we speak.

Now I have two extra power regulators as I replaced the one, and will now have the pulley (cable) re-strung/replaced on the one that snapped.

You can see my car at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649359/1981-fiat-spider Current pics of how she looks are on page 10 of the site, as I restored her from the ground up.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Back