Technical Need a gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Need a gearbox

Sad123

Hi guys,

I have a 1.2 Punto 2013.

Unfortunately the gearbox is on the way out and needs replacing.

I was wondering is there any guidance as to what other cars/models use the same gearbox which would be compatible with my car.

Any help would be appreciated!

I had a go at finding the part number and came up with 55247476 which only seems to be used by the Punto 2013+. Don't take my word for it. I'm no expert on Fiat gearboxes!

Perhaps a bad idea: would the earlier (pre 2013) gearboxes still fit?

I don't think pre 2013 gearbox would be any better. These fire engine gearboxes have been well known for being weak for many years, I had a 2000 Bravo 1.2 16v & the gearbox went on it at 15 years old as it made a horrible metal on metal noise and then spewed all the gearbox oil everywhere, upon closer inspection the diff had shattered & blew a hole in the gearbox with the diff cogs hanging out it, amazingly though it still drove right to the very end until we scrapped it 3 weeks later, probably the best place for it as it was a right old pig cosmetically & needed lots for the MOT. We looked on the forum at the time & found out that once you change the gearbox you'll be forever changing them

So I managed to work out the gearbox code (55241434). Ford KA seems to use the same one as well, but hard to find that particular one.

I wonder if any of the other gearboxes will work…?

I mean it would be a shame to scrap it because it’s only done 48,000 miles and is in pretty good condition.

I think it’s best to call up Fiat and see what gearbox they suggest perhaps?

So I managed to work out the gearbox code (55241434). Ford KA seems to use the same one as well, but hard to find that particular one.

I wonder if any of the other gearboxes will work…?

I mean it would be a shame to scrap it because it’s only done 48,000 miles and is in pretty good condition.

Look to the member who's Evo has just sustained body damage ;)

So I managed to work out the gearbox code (55241434).
<snip>

I suspect that might just be the part number for the gearbox casing?

Oldham Fiat Gearboxes on eBay say they'll identify your gearbox if you message them with your registration. Search this number on eBay: 264323430531

Back