National Service

Currently reading:
National Service

bonkersbassist

Fight off your demons
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/nationalservice.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/irrational-service-compulsory-national-service-bill-to-hit-parliament-in-2014-8805449.html

How on earth do they think this will work?! There is no way I would give up my career/house/car because some idiotic MP think that everyone under the age of 27 is miscreant with no respect for anyone.

I know this is highly unlikely to get through, but it makes my blood boil to think that people like Philip Hollobone are "helping" to run this country.

Anyway its up for discussion in parliament soon so I thought it might be worth a read to a few people here.

All those would need most to do it will find health reasons why they can't

I am somewhat beyond the age group so wouldn't effect me but in the grand scheme of things I can see benifits and draw backs to the proposal, though basically seems politicians living in the past without an original idea in their heads trying to grab headlines

It can work, up to a point, but only if everybody in the age-group is forced by law to do it, so that nobody who has gone ahead and started a career isn't disadvantaged.
However I think you are right and I am amazed that this is taking up parliamentary time which we are lead to believe is tight.

If this comes in, as I'm 20 then I would be forced into it wouldn't I?

I'm self employed, meaning that if I don't work, the business doesn't profit. Who's going to run my business if I have to do that for a year?

Dom

Realistically speaking it will never happen, nothing to threat about. Just politicians wasting more public money debating pointless crap.

I think with further thought and a few tweeks it could have a lot going for it.... If you are already in employment / self employed then not compulsory, however for the job dodgers / those that can't get a lucky break it would give them the spring board they need. We live in a very dirty country that could do with a massive tidy up of rubbish, chewing gum to be scraped off the floor, hedges that need trimming etc etc etc..... I say pull back wasted millions that we send abroad or waste on utter guff, and lets give our unemployed youth purpose and something to work for. I don't just mean grunt jobs, hospitals, schools etc all need extra hands, we have a lot of hands that can do the work, willing or otherwise!

I think with further thought and a few tweeks it could have a lot going for it.... If you are already in employment / self employed then not compulsory, however for the job dodgers / those that can't get a lucky break it would give them the spring board they need. We live in a very dirty country that could do with a massive tidy up of rubbish, chewing gum to be scraped off the floor, hedges that need trimming etc etc etc..... I say pull back wasted millions that we send abroad or waste on utter guff, and lets give our unemployed youth purpose and something to work for. I don't just mean grunt jobs, hospitals, schools etc all need extra hands, we have a lot of hands that can do the work, willing or otherwise!

The problem is how would you decided who has and doesn't have to fairly. Firstly if you exept the employed / self-employed I bet there will be a huge increase in 'self-employed' registered people out there just to avoid it. Wouldn't be hard to set up a window cleaning business, even if you have no customers.

Then theres all the unemployed looking for jobs. I'm currently job hunting (luckily i'm employed aswell) but i'm finding that relevant experience in the fields i'm trying to enter are really hurting my. If you then add a year of cleaning/soldiering/what ever its going to hurt people even more. Along side that you take away a lot of the time they need to actually put in calls and applications to get to an interview in the first place.
You could say that anyone who has been on the dole for x months without success should be put through but they could argue the same point as above, they loose the time to find a job.
Ok so move onto those on the dole that have been offered jobs and declined them but now we're back to dealing with people that would most likely use a loop hole to avoid work at any cost.

While in theory I think that 'national service' could work I think that in practice it would come up against so much opposition and be too vulnerable to abuse that there's only a tiny chance of it ever going anywhere and if it does an even smaller chance of it actually working

The problem is how would you decided who has and doesn't have to fairly. Firstly if you exept the employed / self-employed I bet there will be a huge increase in 'self-employed' registered people out there just to avoid it. Wouldn't be hard to set up a window cleaning business, even if you have no customers.

Then theres all the unemployed looking for jobs. I'm currently job hunting (luckily i'm employed aswell) but i'm finding that relevant experience in the fields i'm trying to enter are really hurting my. If you then add a year of cleaning/soldiering/what ever its going to hurt people even more. Along side that you take away a lot of the time they need to actually put in calls and applications to get to an interview in the first place.
You could say that anyone who has been on the dole for x months without success should be put through but they could argue the same point as above, they loose the time to find a job.
Ok so move onto those on the dole that have been offered jobs and declined them but now we're back to dealing with people that would most likely use a loop hole to avoid work at any cost.

While in theory I think that 'national service' could work I think that in practice it would come up against so much opposition and be too vulnerable to abuse that there's only a tiny chance of it ever going anywhere and if it does an even smaller chance of it actually working

What sort of work are you looking for that you lack the experience in?

there are plenty of Wealthy European countries who've had National service since WW2,
"NOBODY" is exempted.. I know this because major motorsports people have to take their time out of respective careers + championships..,
as long as it's in the nation's interests.. I can't see a down side..,
IF it's "compulsory" then finance companies, angencies , etc will adapt to it,
Charlie

my problem is, education, to be honest my education would have been better under national service saved me wasting a year, grandad loved national service.
plus its only a year.
could have saved me 2 years to be honest. year wasted at 6th form. and used a year to get onto a college course. and doing gcse now to get to do an a level

why start it at 18- 16 would be better,

do it at 16 get it out of the way my education wouldn't have been effected.
downside equal opportunities to all.

was talking to a sociology student, he was studying why some young Asian men can't get jobs and go into drug selling (to put it bluntly). he didn't give me a definitive idea of what the hell it was all on about. but he did sort of like the national service idea.

ps the bill says 26

just reading the education part and it is LACKING.

2 Scope of the scheme
(1) Regulations shall provide that the scheme must extend the scope of the
National Citizen Service and include the following elements—
(a) educational assistance for those participants who have yet to attain
basic educational requirements of reading and writing in English and
mathematics;
(b) coaching and instruction to attain basic levels of physical fitness,
personal discipline, smart appearance, self respect and respect for
others;
(c) instruction in personal financial budgeting, household bills, nutrition,
cooking, time keeping, life skills, tolerance towards others, treating
elderly and disabled people with dignity and respect; and
(d) instruction in basic aspects of the law in relation to the most common
offences involving young people.
Would be nice to say option to add, scheme must provide opportunities to reach lvl3,
enough to go to university.

and a minimum to be able to study as levels

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2013-2014/0032/14032.pdf

would teach a good minimum to young people living on YOUR OWN.
biggest pain on the arse with living with other people at uni was mess, and the lack of any cleaning.

but reading it, it sounds hostile based. i imagine some people will get a cushy single room while some have to live in tent city
TentCitySunnyArizona100107.jpg

but since it only states a year of national service, i imagine it will be about 30 weeks on

They would have to include women now of course.

It used to work and was a very good way to get all classes to muck along. It works abroad too, where there are very few exemptions and far smaller class divisions than there are here, possibly partly as a result: but, we have achieved such a nation of whiners and self-pitying spongers that I can't believe many of them would be able to take orders or behave responsibly. Too many of them would just run home to mummy.

It won't happen.

I agree that its a good idea but trying to bring it back after taking it away - like trying to get people to pay for museums again or taking away job seekers allowance - just won't go down well. Put election coming up next year into the mix and no party will want to be doing something 'the people' will resist.

(On a side note i'm all for paying for museums aslong as its reasonable)

What sort of work are you looking for that you lack the experience in?

Finacial sector/ Investment/ W***er banker type stuff

The only people I can see it benefiting would be the people who carry on after school behaving like children passing all their responsibilities onto society.

Anyone who hasn't lined up a job after leaving school - straight into NS.
Anyone who hasn't held down a job since leaving school - NS
Anyone who wanders to these shores in the belief that they can get a free trot - NS

And whilst they are doing NS, they'll get board & lodgings found for them AND plenty of training to help them find employment when they leave.

Should reduce the amount of unemployment benefits being paid to the spongers.

The only drawback I can see is where would Jeremy Kyle get his stooges from?

And maybe also look at the way the job centre staff get paid...
When someone has been employed all their life & suddenly finds themselves out of work, it wouldn't hurt these staff to get their fingers out & actually help you find employment.
Maybe their salaries could be reduced to just above minimum wage with bonuses for meeting their quotas of finding people work?
When I found myself 'between jobs' after a lifetime of working, JS staff did bugger all to help me aside from waving a hand in the direction of a tin box & telling me to look for jobs!

Back