NAS connected directly to PC

Currently reading:
NAS connected directly to PC

garlicbread22

Hello

I have a NAS but i want to connect it directly to my PC (for an annoying reason that isnt worth going in to). The only way I have found you can do this is with a cross over ethernet cable, but I only have one ethernet port on my PC and its got my internet cable in!

Can I just get a splitter and plug them both in? Also, how would I set up the NAS once its attached directly to the PC? Ive read you have to mess around with IP addresses which I dont really understand

Thanks very much

Simple switch should do the trick. You will probably want to get a gigabit switch for best performance, a bit pricier than a 10/100 switch but probably worth the extra investment.

The switch is a bit like a power strip. Basically adding more sockets to one wall socket. So connect your PC and NAS to the switch and then the switch to the router. Both the PC and NAS will get their IP addresses automatically as before (unless you have specifically turned off DHCP).

Last edited:
First, does it not have a USB port? Most NAS I've seen has a USB connection too.

Second, do you need to avoid it being available to other computers on your network if you already have a network?

So if it doesn't have USB and you either don't have a network or don't want other computers to access it... the cheapest would be a PCI or PCI-express network card. Pop it in your PC. Then use a cross-over cable between them. You set the IP address of the NAS to 10.0.0.1 and the IP of your newly installed card to 10.0.0.2. Subnet mask for both 255.255.255.0 and gateway you leave blank.

If you could explain the situation around the use, then we can better advise you.

Last edited:
Yeah it does have a USB but that can only be used for a printer. I dont mind if its available to other users or not. I am on a network, but the router is in my flatmates room and the NAS is really loud!

Back