Technical Nanni 540cc Engine Build

Currently reading:
Technical Nanni 540cc Engine Build

Finished building up the thermostat housing when I got the new thermostat which was a minor triumph in itself and it is now fitted after removing the exhaust and distributor.
FF7D184A-8A21-4403-889A-2F517F1555C8.jpegF8058E24-65D2-42AB-B506-4207FE6B6F24.jpegF5134515-928B-4D69-86B6-A9C6833397EF.jpeg3C505AA8-E059-4C6E-B309-4A9B95A44CD3.jpeg

Been a month since I last posted on this. I have been starting the engine on and off and got dogged by a number of silly problem. Dodgy starter motor, an HT lead breaking down and two spark plugs giving up on separate occasion. Finally the carb was not seating. I am now taking the opportunity to trial a Weber 30DGF 3 twin choke carb and get that set up which is in progress now.

Well done Dave, good job indeed - it's always satisfying to make something from all of your spares. What C/R will it run at???
Ian.
Thank you, as for compression ratio I really do not know. I put my faith in the original designers of the 540cc which came with high compression pistons so the head has got some mild porting but not been skimmed. The exhaust note seems to have quite a crack to it which is louder than I had expected. I wondered if that was down to the compression ratio as it seemed a little louder than the 795cc which was the last one on the bench. Yes it did feel quite an achievement building that from scratch entirely from parts I had here but I did have to do a bit of searching and I bought a new thermostat when the four I had all turned out to be faulty. Although at the weekend whilst searching for another part I discovered a brand new thermostat at the bottom of a box & still in the original packing 😀

I have been asked to allow my engine to be displayed on a stand at the World renowned Kop Hill hillclimb event that is happening this weekend at Princess Risborough in Bucks. First established in 1910 the event has attracted entries from all around the world and places like Brooklands motor museum. You can see vehicles from the dawn of motoring right up to modern day super cars. My humble engine will be displayed alongside a 700cc new build engine along with the 126 based Blitz single seater off road buggy that I sold.

I have been asked to allow my engine to be displayed on a stand at the World renowned Kop Hill hillclimb event that is happening this weekend at Princess Risborough in Bucks. First established in 1910 the event has attracted entries from all around the world and places like Brooklands motor museum. You can see vehicles from the dawn of motoring right up to modern day super cars. My humble engine will be displayed alongside a 700cc new build engine along with the 126 based Blitz single seater off road buggy that I sold.
Well done David---your perseverence does you proud. The engine sounds fine. I was surprised as to how the exhaust note changed on my engine after I had fitted the 'wasted-spark' ignition---good different!

First off all congrats to your engine build.
To have al that spare parts laying around is a dream for most of us.
Would not mind takeing a stroll around your shed to see all the treasures you have laying around:)))
With regards to your engine beeing displayed at a propper event all I can say is my hat of to you👌

Would not mind takeing a stroll around your shed to see all the treasures you have laying around:)))
With regards to your engine beeing displayed at a propper event all I can say is my hat of to you👌
I have visited David----he has more parts on his conservatory table than most of us have--total! Still, a very good job to be able to build an engine from parts in his 'parts dept'

Bogdan if you were to stroll around my shed you would find some scruffy old bits and bobs and no doubt end up with a few spiders 🕷 on you 😳
So the half decent stuff stays in my garage so I can’t get a car in there. The decent parts are in one of the bedrooms or the conservatory 😀
I have visited David----he has more parts on his conservatory table than most of us have--total! Still, a very good job to be able to build an engine from parts in his 'parts dept'
Kind words from you guys but I feel that I am indulging myself in the equivalent of big boys Meccano and the real hero’s here are the guys that successfully rebuild rotted out body shells to rescue what in most circumstances would be a scrap car.
Having said that we know from posts over the years that guys and gals of all abilities follow the threads so if anything helps or inspires other enthusiasts then it is all worthwhile.
First reports are that my engine was well received at the car event in fact I received a call on Sunday from a 500 owner to say that he had seen an engine just like mine at the show 😂
I also realised that there were two of my engine builds there as the 650 engine in the Blitz buggy was also a crankcase up build by me with parts from my ‘parts dept’
Tom the table in front of me is now covered all over to a depth of about 50cms 🤭

I have decided to put this engine up for sale at the cost of the parts and services used and no charge for all the time and effort I spent on it. I tried to post an ad in the classified section but seemed to have failed so giving it a mention here as it has all the details of the build As well. Picture shows a summary of the build.
IMG_4658.jpeg

I have decided to put this engine up for sale at the cost of the parts and services used and no charge for all the time and effort I spent on it. I tried to post an ad in the classified section but seemed to have failed so giving it a mention here as it has all the details of the build As well. Picture shows a summary of the build.
View attachment 430622
Knowing how hard you must have worked to gather all the parts and then build the engine up, I think that what you are asking is a VERY fair price.

Knowing how hard you must have worked to gather all the parts and then build the engine up, I think that what you are asking is a VERY fair price.
Yes I have been told that but it was something I had been thinking about for some years, sometimes during periods of prolonged illness so when I managed to get back to engine building it was a joy and it was never an exercise to make money. Out of interest I followed this build with the 650 I called Goldie which was due to be finished this year. However a guy came round to buy a carb and walked away with the carb and my almost completed engine as well.
I reckon I still have enough bits to build another standard 650 engine but that would be next year now. 😀

I still have this engine sitting in my garage so it is available and could save someone a lot of hard work not to mention that you would not be able to build an engine of this specification for this price now. I think I have just about got enough spare parts to build another “new” engine so the bench space would be useful for a summer project

Back