General Nankang Tyres

Currently reading:
General Nankang Tyres

sammy657

Hi i now have 3 alloys thanks to a nankang tyre coming away from the rim and the alloy cracking and now im on steel rims and not had this problem since. Was wondering if its the actual tyre being crappy or the alloy corroding? Would love to know as im dying to get my alloys back on

Hi i now have 3 alloys thanks to a nankang tyre coming away from the rim and the alloy cracking and now im on steel rims and not had this problem since. Was wondering if its the actual tyre being crappy or the alloy corroding? Would love to know as im dying to get my alloys back on

Very rarely heard of, most likely cause IMO is rapid deflation (puncture, dodgy valve etc) or as you say corroded alloy or low tyre pressure and heavy cornering.

Last edited:
Checked for punctures before with them and nothing. Just kept breaking away from the seal. Got so annoying then it finally went and cracked the alloy. Happy with my steel wheels now to be honest but want some wider tyres on them

Checked for punctures before with them and nothing. Just kept breaking away from the seal. Got so annoying then it finally went and cracked the alloy. Happy with my steel wheels now to be honest but want some wider tyres on them

Cool but dont fit tyres that are too wide for the rims or the same will happen again, thats exactly why people fit wider wheels and tyres for better grip. Too narrow a rim with too wide a tread will cause you problems.

What sizes could i fit then on my steel rims? i currently have 155/70/r13 I thinks

I had a EX500 let go due to sidewall shear at 85mph on the M6 a couple of years back.

Not pretty, but I thought it was due to wheel bolts being loose at the time.

Were these standard sized tyres on standard sized rims at the correct pressure?

If there was a build up of corrosion on the bead lip, then the tyre would never seal properly, gradual defaltion through the corrosion would cause the tyre to roll off the bead under cornering.

However,

I have recently seen a brand new alloy wheel, that was porous.

Cheers

PD

In the league table of tyres Nankang Tire are a lower division club & have had some negative comment from testing authorities. For evidence ...

http://www.which.co.uk/files/application/pdf/p70-73_tyres-445-110020.pdf

http://www.which.co.uk/files/application/pdf/p50-53_tyres-445-132885.pdf

A further element to consider when buying critical parts from (say) Taiwan & Korea is that their personnel work long hours, leading to tiredness ... & mistakes. For example, Hankook (Korea) that although coming out well in tests are having a bad press due to deaths at their plant.

If it came off the rim then it was possibly underinflated, or the wrong tyre for the wheel

Most tyre fitters will have a look at the rim where the tyre sits, and will wire brush away any possible corrision, they are fitting the tyre and they have to be responsible for what they are fitting the tyre to. IMO

I have used Nankangs on the back now for over a year, offer more grip than the pirelli's on the front do, especially in the wet where IMO the Pirellis are very poor. The whole carcass of the Nankang seems good quality to me, never had any problems with them.

I wouldnt mind two more, does anyone know of the Nankang dealer where I can get them direct?

In my cars I have some Eagle F1s but with my style of driving with the Cento, I do not need high performance tires. Because of that I have four Nanakang. So far I can only say good things about them and they do look good.

Last edited:
Hey

Iv been on 4 Nankangs for 6 months now. Had 4 pirrellis previously. More grip from the Nankangs in the wet and dry as they are wider but at first the stearing didnt feel quite as sharp as the pirrellis. No proplems with them though, and iv found them a lot cheaper...

One place (National, winchester) told me you could only use Pirrellis or goodyear eagles. But when I requested the Nankangs they got one in under an hour! A lot cheaper too £45 vs 75 - £90 each for the goodyears!. Since then I got a good set of second hand Nankangs from ebay with cinq alloys for £50! Bargain!

I can get good part worn Pirellis for £15 fitted. On the little wheels, I rate them.

But the prices for 13" tyres are plain silly. I can get 195/45/14 Uniroyals for £35 each, 195/45/15 Marangonis for £32. Both are truly excellent tyres, European manufacture, a whole league above the 13s commonly available.

Nankang's are s**t end of story. Perfectly ok in dry weather but in the wet their completly leathal.

Agreed. The older nakang type was quite good but it was replaced by a terrible tyre.

I have nankangs on the back now but they still come back to bite me in the wet sometimes.

Would never use them again. Going to stick with my steel rims now and get some nice hubcaps:D

Back