General Mystery wobble...

Currently reading:
General Mystery wobble...

Has anyone ever had this? My 4x4 has something like a wheel wobble, but only in 3rd and 4th gear and only when accelerating....otherwise nothing and all going pretty well (no synchro on 3rd though, exactly like my old panda).

I'll have a look at the engine mounts but they were all fine when I last checked (about a month back). Any suggestions welcome..

cheers, Mike

totnesmonster said:
Has anyone ever had this? My 4x4 has something like a wheel wobble, but only in 3rd and 4th gear and only when accelerating....otherwise nothing and all going pretty well (no synchro on 3rd though, exactly like my old panda).

I'll have a look at the engine mounts but they were all fine when I last checked (about a month back). Any suggestions welcome..

cheers, Mike
what kind of tyres have you got?

i've had something similar but it's really feint and only around the 35-40mph area... most of the time nothing.

Tony M said:
what kind of tyres have you got?

i've had something similar but it's really feint and only around the 35-40mph area... most of the time nothing.

er, black round cheap ones...

But I think its something else as it only does it on acceleration, and gets worse the more i put my foot down. At steady speeds there is no wobble at all. I might try swapping them around anyway to see if it changes anything

totnesmonster said:
er, black round cheap ones...

But I think its something else as it only does it on acceleration, and gets worse the more i put my foot down. At steady speeds there is no wobble at all. I might try swapping them around anyway to see if it changes anything
you could just try tightening them :)

Wheel wobble is usually associated with Steering, tyres, wheels or bushes (front tiebar, trackrods, ball joints, droplink, So check those first. I would also have a look at the prop/gearbox joint and mid mounting points.

Just another thought also check the prop to diff UJ make sure it's greased and loose as they can sieze and cause enough wobble to throw your fillings out

Last edited:
Alan.D said:
Wheel wobble is usually associated with Steering, tyres, wheels or bushes (front tiebar, trackrods, ball joints, droplink, So check those first. I would also have a look at the prop/gearbox joint and mid mounting points.

Just another thought also check the prop to diff UJ make sure it's greased and loose as they can sieze and cause enough wobble to throw your fillings out

yeah, i'm guessing something on the suspension, I changed one track control arm a while back for a good secondhand one, maybe its not all that good after all. Propshaft shouldn't be an issue as I rebuilt it with new UJs, boots etc.

and the wheelnuts are tight. ;)

Alan.D said:
The tie bars have 2 large doughnut type bushes & set the track of the front wheels if loose or worn the wheel will move slightly back when accelerating & forward when braking.

Was it tracked properly after changing the control arm?

give that man a coconut!

I had a look this morning and the right hand tie rod was pretty loose, have tightened it all up and the wobble seems to have gone on a quick road test.

Cheers, Mike

aybe it's time to fit all those brand new suspension bits i bought in the summer... but the car still drives really well, so it seems a little bit of overkill.

Back