General My Uno Turbo + me weighs 1000kg!

Currently reading:
General My Uno Turbo + me weighs 1000kg!

Well, I had an interesting opportunity yesterday - as I left the Refuse Transfer Station (you might call it The Dump) in my Uno Turbo. I asked them to weigh me on the weighbridge and it came to exactly 1000kg (+/- 5kg).

I was a little bit surprised as that seems like quite a lot, but then I remembered that the weight of the Mk2 Uno Turbo is 945kg, and I weigh 70kg, my Uno Turbo is a Mk1, so it seemed roughly right (almost full tank of fuel also).

Actually my handbook shows 895kg as the weight of the Mk1. Add 70kg to that and you might expect my car to weigh 965kg.

I can explain an extra 3kg of front stereo speakers/mountings, 8kg of amplifier (under seat), 2kg of subwoofer (it weighs 14kg but the spare wheel - which it replaces - was 12kg), the stereo head unit weighs 800g, and then there's lots of luxury sound deadening material - I used 16 sheets at 200g each (3.2kg), plus a 'mover's blanket' (compressed felt) which weighs 2kg. As you can imagine, this really does transform the Uno Turbo into something that rides with the compliant silence of a Rolls-Royce... or not :p These trappings of luxury come to a total of 19kg.

Then there are the 15" alloy wheels, which weigh 19kg each incl. tyres. Standard 13" wheels are 12kg each, so that's an extra 7kg * 4 (28kg).

In total I've managed to explain an extra 47 kg. 895kg + 70kg + 47kg = 1012kg, happily I've saved a little weight under the bonnet by drilling brackets, leaving off parts, etc.

So at least I know where the weight is coming from - now the question is, is it worth trying to save that 47kg or not? How much weight have people really managed to get out of their Unos? I'd imagine that a saving of, say, 200kg, would give a really noticeable benefit. But can it be done? As you can see, even my luxury additional soundproofing added less than 6kg.

I would probably leave the amp and sub at home, but I don't think I'd bother to remove all the hard-installed stereo gear just to save 5kg. But what do you think...?

Cheers,
-Alex

Good thread, time to cut down on the beers and pork pies :D

The trouble I see with trying to save extra weight is that you'll probably end up with a car that's a stripped out racer, noisy and difficult to live with day to day. For the utlimate in weight lose I reckon:

Complete strip of everything, dip the shell in acid to remove all paint, underseal etc then a light respray (not too much), that'll probably shed a few pounds of underseal, rust etc. Refit a Carbonfibre race seat only, no other trim beyond the essentials. Wheels, buy a set of Magnesium alloy wheels. Polycarb side/rear windows, remove the winders, and drill vent holes and boil in the summer. You could also start drilling holes / cutting out metal in the door strengtheners to reduce weight, just don't go too far and remove the structual strength. I suppose you can then start lightening parts, remaking parts out of light alloy or something oh and finally Driving the car remove all cloths, you might like to wear shorts though:)

I've been restoring the Strada and have removed all the interior and sound deadening material to get to the rust (shock horror I know you weren't expecting it to have rust). The horrible water abosrbant sound proofing felt with bitumin backing weighs a ton, I removed about 3 black sacks worth so that'll be left out. I thought neoprene will be a good alternative as a lightweight non absorbant alternative. Also the antidrumming material weighs quite alot but I I've bought some replacement material because I can imagine the car will be horrendous to live with without. The underside will be getting a fresh coat of underseal. I would like to remove all the old stuff which has seen better days but the thought of lying on the drive for days scrapping away is too much. So a high power pressure wash and wire brush will have to do to remove anything lose.

Thanks for the reply thepottleflump! (y)

I have a 2001 Punto Sporting these days as my 'everyday' car, so my Uno Turbo sees little use. The Punto is a lot more solid and refined, as you might expect, although it was strangely devoid of soundproofing. I'm making progress in that regard (deadened the doors, rear side panels (it's a three-door), tailgate and bonnet), and already it's much quieter. It has a pretty good stereo and the air conditioning works, too. The 1.2L engine is sufficient, though not exactly 'sporty'!

The comfort and performance of my 164 puts the Punto to shame.

So meanwhile, my Uno Turbo's days of 'livable comfort' are probably over. I thought I might try to pay a visit to the previous owner (after nearly five years!) to compare notes, and then it's time to remove the nice stereo, the soundproofing, the rear seats and trim, the bonnet and bulkhead sound deadening etc. I probably won't fit plastic windows, as that requires an 'authority card' (paperwork + cost + participation in club events requirement) which is also required for a rollcage, harnesses, etc. so they can probably wait, too.

I intend to keep all the parts removed so that one day it can be made into a nice road car again - maybe when it's 30 years old...

Realistically I hope to remove at least 100kg from the weight - we'll see... just getting rid of those wheels and going back to originals will save 28kg and restore the steering to a less-excitable, more 'normal' feel.

Cheers,
-Alex

Cool, stripping out sounds like a good idea them. I'm surprised by the issues with fitting a cage etc, I thought things were bad here but no such problem in the UK.

I'm now tempted to leave the soundproofing out the Strada for now and since I'm near my local weighbridge next time I'm down the dump with the Strada I might get her weighed. Unladen weight is reputed to be 950kg unladen so probably come up about 1100kg with me and some fuel.

Have you got any recent pictures of the UT. Must be nice weather over in NZ at the moment. The weathermen are predicting snow tonight so fully expect the journey to work to be tortuous tomorrow.

All information I have has a mk1 UT at 845kg. maybe 895kg was with A/C etc?

Anyway, weight is hard to get out on an Uno turbo. Blair's Uno turbo is 880kg as you would have seen it last, 15" wheels and petrol in the tank etc. Take about 40kg off for the roll cage etc, 30kg off for the wheels, maybe 10kg for fuel and thats still around 800kg for a fully stripped Uno turbo. (built from bare metal shell inside and out). If it was 845kg standard, thats not a lot and its like a tin can to drive.

My Tipo on the other hand with all interior, fuel, 15" wheels, 2L motor etc is only 1070kg. I thought that was quite light for what it is.

I never bother with weigh loss as a form of increasing performance. Obviuosly if i was using the uno strictly for rally or track purposes it wud be different. But considering i use the uno as an everyday car that i like to show off i dont mind a few extra kg of hormann kit or sub n amp etc

What weight reduction?

i now have a 999 in the 70sx i think thats why i get wheelspin if i'm too aggresive withthe clutch

There's a steep hill i have to ascend periodically, when its wet i have about 50 m that also includes a corner.

btw i wear 175 70/13 dunlops, properly aligned

summary the car front is too light

the rear has a 12" bazooka and a full toolbox so maybe it's too heavy

my dad has a fife share in a mk1 uno 1300 strada engined track car with about 100hp using a croma 2 litre carb leand right out and timed to run peak power at 8500 rpm

it weighs 900kg including driver it could have been less but that was the class minimum

the roof skin was sanded to almost paper thin

it had 650kg springs all round so handles like a go cart rear beam was welded up to form a box strut brace front and rear

gearbox was 4cm from the ground

3_quarter.JPG

new i had a pic somewere

Last edited:
Back