Tuning My Tipo is becoming a project..

Currently reading:
Tuning My Tipo is becoming a project..

Alleycat

Project Franco
Hello all :)

i'm back and i've finally decided to do something with my poor old Tipo. He's come to the end of his life I believe as a 1.4, having mechanical failure after mechanical failure, but I really cannot bear to see him scrapped. I'm far too attached to the ugly old thing! So i've decided I want to radically change everything about him.
I will keep everyone on here up to date once I start, a few months from now, but I have big plans. The main plan being to fit a 20VT engine from the Coupe.
Does anyone have any advice for me? Where to start, any bodywork issues that may need addressing (although having only done 40k and been garage stored the shell itself is pretty sound!), has anyone previously done this engine swap?
Where is the best place to buy items such as lowering springs/coilovers and so on?

I've done a lot of modifications to my Volkswagens and my S13, but the Tipo has only ever been an a to b car until now, so i'm relatively new to this!
Becca :D
:cool:

Well it seems quite ambitious but it can be done, there was a thread on here or Members motors where an experienced machanic changed a red 1.4 into a 16V or 20V turbo. You need to hunt around for threads on other modified cars, some are quite radical.

There are other engine swap options where you could keep the rest of the car more standard, most of the Brava / Bravo / Marea engines like the 1.8 should fit quite easily.

Less challenging would be a 1.6 8V Mk1 Punto sporting engine with Multipoint injection, if you can find a decent or rebuilt one. Basically the same as the 1.6 Tipos but much faster.

Or go the other way - fit a good condition 1.2 16V engine and box from a late Brava or Bravo - if the head gasket is good and the electronics all work it's a very modern, nippy (80 HP) and economical engine and would suit the Tipo very well. Actually that would be my ideal combination of quality engine and characterfull car - so consider that option maybe. There may be issues with later ECUs and keys etc )more complicated) but it's all doable.

Yep 20vt conversion, get a whole 20vt (fiat coupe super spares see FCCUK) swap everything over, suspension and all, then go with coupe options for suspension.

Or if you like sound of a Busso , put an alfa v6 :) tipo is the same front florpan and under the hood as alfa 155, v6 jumps in with ease. Find nice complete (drivetrain wiith susp) 3.0 24v and remove the stereo from your car since it is pointless to have a radio when you have Busso with freeflow exhaust under the hood :D

Last edited:
Or if you like sound of a Busso , put an alfa v6 :) tipo is the same front florpan and under the hood as alfa 155, v6 jumps in with ease. Find nice complete (drivetrain wiith susp) 3.0 24v and remove the stereo from your car since it is pointless to have a radio when you have Busso with freeflow exhaust under the hood :D

That.Looks.Naughty!

What suspension is that lowered on and by how many mm?

Also, what is your average Miles Per Gallon (MPG) on petrol? :D

The car from the picture doesn't belong to me , don't know exact details except what I've written above. It is fiat with alfa susp. brakes and engine almost{ like every swap:p} plug and play .

Back