General My Punto Mk1!

Currently reading:
General My Punto Mk1!

Hi all,
You may already know me, I've got a blue Mk2b Punto that's quite modified...

But anyway.. It's been a dream of mine for a while now to get a project car... I was toying with the possibilities between a Seicento, a Cinquecento, a 126 or a Mk1 Punto.. A Mk1 Punto showed up, really close to me, in my favourite colour and with a rare body kit on it! I couldn't resist!

So here it is:
It's a '99 Punto SX85, in green, with the Abarth bodykit and rare 1.6 Sporting alloys on it! It's a 1.2 16v, with 85hp.

Surprisingly it's faster than my Mk2, comfier than my Mk2 and runs better too ?

Anyone got any mod ideas?

Thanks,
Rhys
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1434220135.709868.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1434220152.948198.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1434220209.030042.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1434220226.758781.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1434220249.228412.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1434220283.452333.jpg
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1434220316.101806.jpg

Nice! Pretty rare with an abarth kit

Your in luck my friend.
You were able to get abarth accessory wheels, which for the Punto were 14", or 15" for the bravo.

Luckily, I have stashed away a brand new old stock set of 15" bravo ones if your interested, identical to the Punto wheels just an inch bigger. Never been on a car.
If you fancy them pm me.......

lol Simon, i was just gonna suggest he sent you a message about them wheels, would be perfect for this punto..

Gotta say, I don't think i have ever seen an abarth kitted mk1 in that colour before. I'd get a GT steering wheel - they look and feel so much nicer. Other than that I would be loath to do much else to it, its looks really clean and original!! Perhaps a slight drop??

PS> I'm not, and sure most mk1 drivers/owners won't be surprised its quicker than the mk2 :p this is a 16v and your mk2 is an 8v, the mk1 is lighter. Even if you had a 1.2 16v mk2 that would be heavier and less powerful too. mk1's are just better ;)

OK just looked back and noticed it is an sx and not elx - to this end i suggest you try get the centre console and door cards (they speaker pods so you can have tweeters in dash and woofers in the door) from a GT (can't remember if the ELX has the door cards but pretty sure they have the centre console.. I will find a pic, gis a min

lol Simon, i was just gonna suggest he sent you a message about them wheels, would be perfect for this punto..

Gotta say, I don't think i have ever seen an abarth kitted mk1 in that colour before. I'd get a GT steering wheel - they look and feel so much nicer. Other than that I would be loath to do much else to it, its looks really clean and original!! Perhaps a slight drop??

PS> I'm not, and sure most mk1 drivers/owners won't be surprised its quicker than the mk2 :p this is a 16v and your mk2 is an 8v, the mk1 is lighter. Even if you had a 1.2 16v mk2 that would be heavier and less powerful too. mk1's are just better ;)

Thanks ? you're so right about the Mk1's being better than the Mk2's! I've completely fallen in love with it ❤️

There's not a lot I really want to do to it, apart from:
- Sort out few dents
- Get mesh for the Abarth bumper grills (it's a gaping hole atm)
- New Fiat and Punto badges.
- GT door cards, steering wheel, alloys.
- Maybe lowered alittle?
- Spacers on the rear wheels

But other than that I'm planning to keep it as standard as possible. I don't want to fiddle with it as much as I have with my Mk2. This is too clean to be messed around with ?

Rhys

mop it up and clean the area up best you can - have a good look around for cracks in teh plastic and pipes.... If you can't see anything then turn ignition on so it primes and have a look again - if its on the fuel out side it should leak after the prime, if its on the return side it will need to run to leak.... Clearly be extra careful, disconnect the battary and stuff before you pull that connector out - it should spark but it will only take 1 tiny spark ;)

edit: another thought. there should be a rubber seal which may be missing.... If you remove the big plastic thing that holds the sender unit down - there should be a big o-ring under that. Check thats there. Number 8 on attached pic

Attachments

• emaps.jpg
    emaps.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back