1.jpg

Punto Evo My Punto Evo

Introduction

My Evo 1.4 on a wet miserable day. I've owned this car for 3 years, has been a good reliable little motor, now on 87k. Looking forward to summer, I'm going to be making it as tidy as possible, getting the parking dents out and sorting out the interior. Not planning on doing anything about performance, just want to turn it into a good clean car.

The skirts and wheels are freshly added. Next up are new badges, front and rear, repainting the front badge panel (black), then polishing up the lights. After that, it's a new clutch and gear cables to fit, can't say I'm looking forward to it, probably a weekends work?
A nice looking car indeed, I know they are not OEM wheels but 1. I’ve always had a thing for 7 spoke wheels mainly because high end cars used to always fit 7 spokes and 2. They really suite and look good on that model. Normally with after market wheels someone fits something that is a Fiat fitting version of some audi or mercedes wheel or a hideous old design that used to be on cars from the 80s.

I really like the look you’ve got there.

Also in my view (I’m sure some won’t agree) the Evo is better looking than the later 2012+ Punto, mainly because fiat did away with a lot of the design details to cut costs

A nice looking car indeed, I know they are not OEM wheels but 1. I’ve always had a thing for 7 spoke wheels mainly because high end cars used to always fit 7 spokes and 2. They really suite and look good on that model. Normally with after market wheels someone fits something that is a Fiat fitting version of some audi or mercedes wheel or a hideous old design that used to be on cars from the 80s.

I really like the look you’ve got there.

Also in my view (I’m sure some won’t agree) the Evo is better looking than the later 2012+ Punto, mainly because fiat did away with a lot of the design details to cut costs

Thanks very much. Yes think an odd number of spokes works best on anything Italian. Took ages deciding on these, there's not many new wheels that I like. These are Brock wheels, I wanted something similar to the OEM 5 spokes and looking a little more old school. Must be my age, I just prefer the look of cars from the 90s and early 2000s, like the Alfa GT, hell even old 306s still look good, well in my view anyway!!

I agree with you about the newer Punto, still it might grow on me.

They’re a great choice for the car.

My old mk2 had these oem 7 spokes, definitely suit any car but I’d say your wheels are better.

Attachments

• A6E78EA5-F848-4810-9387-54601BBC88D1.jpeg
    A6E78EA5-F848-4810-9387-54601BBC88D1.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 55
They’re a great choice for the car.

My old mk2 had these oem 7 spokes, definitely suit any car but I’d say your wheels are better.

I like that, looks like a mini Stilo, suits well. Are they OEM for the Punto?

It's good when you can swap wheels from other models and keep it Fiat. For some reason Punto GPs are 4x100 pcd and all other Fiats are 4x98, is that right?

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
I like that, looks like a mini Stilo, suits well. Are they OEM for the Punto?

It's good when you can swap wheels from other models and keep it Fiat. For some reason Punto GPs are 4x100 pcd and all other Fiats are 4x98, is that right?

They were genuine fiat wheels but not standard fit, I think they were a dealer option circa 2002/3 basically when you go into the fiat dealer, order the car and then choose to upgrade the wheels to one of the ones on the rack in the showroom.

The Grande and the Evo where a shared platform with Vauxhall so wheel and suspension from a Vauxhall corsa, there are a lot of other components in common with the corse and the Vauxhall’s gained fiat Diesel engines in return

The Grande and the Evo where a shared platform with Vauxhall so wheel and suspension from a Vauxhall corsa, there are a lot of other components in common with the corse and the Vauxhall’s gained fiat Diesel engines in return

Aha! makes sense now. Thanks guys, good bit of knowledge.

I would never call this a Vauxhall though, they're okay but I'm not a great fan :D I'm from a Fiat family we've owned 12 Fiats and only 1 Vauxhall. My parents have the 500L.

Very nice lookin! I have same 1.6diesel multijet i love her ? iv always had punto sportings prior so i was disappointed they didnt do a 1.9 like the jtd version in early 2000s i had 1 on 03 it was rapid ! ?

Very nice lookin! I have same 1.6diesel multijet i love her ? iv always had punto sportings prior so i was disappointed they didnt do a 1.9 like the jtd version in early 2000s i had 1 on 03 it was rapid ! ?

Your 1.6multijet like mine should be 120hp, I had an 2004 multijet HGT which was the highest power of the mk2 or mk2b (1999-2005) with a 1.9 Diesel engine and while it was lighter than the later Grande and Evo, that was still only 100hp, other 1.9 diesels of that time where ~85hp so your 1.6 should definitely be a bit quicker. They did put the 1.9 in the Grande with 130hp I think but most of them lunched their own gearbox.

I need to open her up 100% not been on motorway yet i must do this asap, soon as restrictions are lifted i cant wait! ? Funny u mention gearbox , that 03 hgt was the only car iv had that gearbox went on it after 6months couldnt get into 3rd drove it like that 4 a while straight frm 2nd to 4th ? not good !lol

Last edited:
I can vouch for the 1.9JTD being a good engine. I had a Brava in 2010 which I bought for a song, she was already 10 years old and I added 60k in about 2 and a half years. Absolutely nothing went wrong with it, lovely old car.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    461.2 KB · Views: 242
Back