P181008_14.19.JPG

Punto (Mk2/2b) My Punto 1.2 8V

Introduction

just had her bumpers (i know they aint done with the bump strips and that left black.. but i like it like this!) :) and mirrors painted... and got rid of the side strips

i have ony tweaked with the interior.. sub. speakers.. head unit.. etc.. but i wanna put a bigger engine in it.. but aint sure if the older 1.4 turbo engine will fit in this(i know the ecu and locking could be a problem)? anyone know? i mean it aint exactly slow.. it hammers all the other 1.2 cars around.. but i'd like to keep up with them bloody saxo VTR's a bit more lol...
Get a 1.2 16valve engine out of a sporting (comes wi a 6speed gear box ) or even better? A 1.8 HGT engine. you may have to change the wiring loom and ecu and stuff i.e engine mounts. but i dont think you can fit the old 1.4 turbo :S not entirly sure. the old 1.4 turbo was that good i dont think :( my boss's son had the punto gt and he sed it was crap basically ? but dunno everyone has different experiances i guess lol :p car looks cool :) is it red or pink ?

hi cheers for the info.. i was thinking the 1.8 engine... but i am only 18 so will have to do it on the sly if you get what i mean.. erm yeah it is red.. but it was so clean it looks pink? (yeah ill go for that lol..) i think the colour is Rosso Scilli HWB? :S

well if ya do it on the sly dont tell anyone :) and if you have a crash and the Mr insurance mad comes out in his big merc and says that engine aint for that car, all you have to say is well it was in there when i bought it. but the 1.8 rattles a bit i think, and power wise its not great, :( but again every on has a diff opinion. 1.2 8 v is a brill engine :p dont bend valves if timing belt goes :p which is cool :p PLus your reg plate is perfect for the reno clios :p VVV (Va Va Voom ) lol

yeah.. is it possible to bore the engines out? because i know the ecu's are a bit tricky on punto's well for me.. i have bored them out on a mini with the old man... but if it is possible you could possibly bore it out to a 1.3 and it will still be a 1.2 to the unfair and very sexist insurance company's lol....

Yeah boring it out is a possiblity :p but i dont think you could do much boring out :) lol its a 1248cc as it is :p ecus are a porblem on the puntos yes :p done loads of them at the garage i work and so easy to re program my 1 yr old nephew could do it :p puntos are good cars just have more than a couple common faults lol

damn... i want it a bit quicker.. especially now my mate is saying his 1.2 fix or repair daily fiesta will **** all over it.. i could just shave the weight off of it.. then it will be all cushty.. how much will a cam and that make to my punto?? i havent heard of anyone doing it on mark 2...

wouldnt make any diff, your mates fesbomb is a 1250 16valve
therfore its bound be quicker. cam would probs be a waste of time tbh. you could probs advance timing, but not advaisable due to it could misfire and use alot more fuel, therefore your cat wouldnt be very healthy :( if i was you, i'd stick a 1.2 16v 6speed in it :) engine and box :p be a bit quicker then they are about 75 80bhp?
where as yours is 65 bhp

bastard... lol.. i think i might have to get a new engine.. or race him on my bike.. then i will win.. but i wanna cane him in my car first.. how straight forward would the drop be? will i have to **** about with mountings and that?

That and who said it was a 16v Yahama unit it might be the old push rod 1.3 in which case punto will shat on it from a height...as its only 59bhp and about as free revving and smooth as punto sand in the sump and no oil...

That and who said it was a 16v Yahama unit it might be the old push rod 1.3 in which case punto will shat on it from a height...as its only 59bhp and about as free revving and smooth as punto sand in the sump and no oil...

lol, the 16v fiesta engine is a good 'un though, but TBH there wasnt a massive amount between me and my mates, saying that at the time his car was on its way out, (bottom end rattle) and i was on 10k miles.

i'd laugh if it was the old 1.3 engine though.

I had a 73bhp 16v fiesta as a courtesy car when my 85 was in the shop the 1.2 superfire is far superior ford is a bit flat and not very torquey compared to it has to be revved hard. Its like a VVT....without much power at the top end.

Gah missed in one of his posts he said it was a 1.2...poor! not a push rod unit then unless he's been lyin!

Last edited:
I had a 73bhp 16v fiesta as a courtesy car when my 85 was in the shop the 1.2 superfire is far superior ford is a bit flat and not very torquey compared to it has to be revved hard. Its like a VVT....without much power at the top end.

Gah missed in one of his posts he said it was a 1.2...poor! not a push rod unit then unless he's been lyin!

haven't driven one properly myself, just know it could get passed my punto slowly, i say could because it ended up in a field upside down lol.

I had it for a week exact same spec as that but panther black...when I got my punto back it was like different class of car! mk1 ELXs rock tbf the garage doing the repairs said thats a nice little car that didn't think much of them but yours is cool.

wouldnt make any diff, your mates fesbomb is a 1250 16valve
therfore its bound be quicker. cam would probs be a waste of time tbh. you could probs advance timing, but not advaisable due to it could misfire and use alot more fuel, therefore your cat wouldnt be very healthy :( if i was you, i'd stick a 1.2 16v 6speed in it :) engine and box :p be a bit quicker then they are about 75 80bhp?
where as yours is 65 bhp

actually its the older spi fiat fire engine as the cars a y reg 2001 wich means its 58bhp...

yeah it's the GPs that are 65, but are noticebly slower due to weight i imagine.

correct :p, the later mark 2's and 2b's were replaced with a newer mpi unit which fetched a breath taking 60bhp lol, i think they are the same engine out of the mark 1's 75 remapped to 60bhp.... why they did that i don't know... but don't hold me to that one... i'll ask pip in a min if hes still online

correct :p, the later mark 2's and 2b's were replaced with a newer mpi unit which fetched a breath taking 60bhp lol, i think they are the same engine out of the mark 1's 75 remapped to 60bhp.... why they did that i don't know... but don't hold me to that one... i'll ask pip in a min if hes still online

haha, 75bhp would be nice, but 60bhp does me (y)

well your cars running 60bhp now.

get the ECU remapped with a Induction kit and you'll be seeing about the same power as his fiesta (72). then drop some weight, back seats, spare wheel etc.

i could seam it all up.. i wanna kick his arse because he is a little runt.. i used to do body and paint on rally cars.. and know how to strip a car to bare safe minimum.. but i dont want it to get dinged by someone prodding it hard lol... and sorry its a 1.25 zetec 16v.. dont hold me to that.. but i think thats what it is.. ill just threaten him with my bike... :slayer::devil:

Back