General My Panda lies to me !

Currently reading:
General My Panda lies to me !

mallettron

Ive had the esc/hill error again
Cant complain, even with a new battery at the begining of the year im still only doing anout 20 miles a week
Amyway i took it out for a run today
just been for a blast round, totley, fox house, callow bank, hathersage and back
According to the trip ive added fuel to my car
started out with 245 miles range, did 26 miles in total and ended up with 329?
Either its lying or ive discovered the secret of free emergy

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

It's not got a crystal ball in there, just does it's best to guess your range based on driving style. It will change as you change how you drive.

You may not have discovered free energy but you have discovered
how much further the car can go on a longer run on the fuel left
in the tank, it's not lying it's reappraising.
Yes, you have to be very careful if you start "believing" what the computer range projection is when your tank is getting low. This was brought home to me on the return journey on our recent foray Devon to Edinburgh - In the Ibiza - This journey can normally be completed on just one well filled tank but on this occasion we had been seriously delayed by two big traffic jams on the M6 in the midlands which added over an hour to our journey time and subjected us to many miles of stop/go and crawling along in first gear. Coming off the top end of the M6 onto the M74 the computer was indicating a range projection with about 20+ miles in hand to home. We were very tired by then and just wanted to get home so I decided to risk it without topping up. Of course then we came off onto the A702 with all the bends and hills, gear changes and acceleration required on this main road which cuts cross country to our home town. I watched, with some apprehension, as the "safe" computer projected range steadily dwindled away as the computer incorporated the different way the engine was being used compared to on the motorway. We did make it home but we must have been running on vapour and the poor old girl had been "pinging" me and asking for fuel since we reached the outskirts of the city. When I filled her up next day she took just a couple of litres short of the stated maximum tank capacity. Although the fuel filter is a "for life" component (no recommended change interval) I suppose I probably ought to change it now in case she's sucked up any rubbish from the bottom of the tank when the low fuel level allowed it to be well "stirred up?

i find the First 200 miles out after a reset

After a 1000 miles its pretty good on your driving

the only times I find it out once its settled down is if I change driving styles or types of roads. Even then it settles pretty quickly

not sure how it copes if you park an a hill as it uses a combination of fuel sender and the ECU fuelling

Yes, you have to be very careful if you start "believing" what the computer range projection is when your tank is getting low. This was brought home to me on the return journey on our recent foray Devon to Edinburgh - In the Ibiza - This journey can normally be completed on just one well filled tank but on this occasion we had been seriously delayed by two big traffic jams on the M6 in the midlands which added over an hour to our journey time and subjected us to many miles of stop/go and crawling along in first gear. Coming off the top end of the M6 onto the M74 the computer was indicating a range projection with about 20+ miles in hand to home. We were very tired by then and just wanted to get home so I decided to risk it without topping up. Of course then we came off onto the A702 with all the bends and hills, gear changes and acceleration required on this main road which cuts cross country to our home town. I watched, with some apprehension, as the "safe" computer projected range steadily dwindled away as the computer incorporated the different way the engine was being used compared to on the motorway. We did make it home but we must have been running on vapour and the poor old girl had been "pinging" me and asking for fuel since we reached the outskirts of the city. When I filled her up next day she took just a couple of litres short of the stated maximum tank capacity. Although the fuel filter is a "for life" component (no recommended change interval) I suppose I probably ought to change it now in case she's sucked up any rubbish from the bottom of the tank when the low fuel level allowed it to be well "stirred up?
From what Ive seen there is no "filter"
Just a fine metal gauge bulit into the pump so it would mean a new pump if you wanted to change it

Here's a picture for a older engine

When my tank is full, it's nice to know the range the computer thinks I can achieve. However, when the tank gets near empty it simply complains about low fuel while telling me nothing useful. My car starts to complain with 28 litres used. By about 32 litres used, it's so annoying that I fill up anyway. The tank holds 36 litres by the way. 3 litres is about 30 miles and allows far more choice of fuel station. But what if its actually near zero. I'd never know. Basically the last five litres in the tank is juts dead weight. Unless you carry a smelly spare fuel can, it never gets used.

Correct guys, but I was talking about my Ibiza (which I mentioned in the second line of the post) I must apologise for it not being a Fiat though! It, the Ibiza that is, has a pretty normal looking canister filter easily accessed under the rear floor near the fuel tank. I think it's this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22392656...820357&hash=item34231031c0:g:CJUAAOSwMIVeVAmW

You'll notice that it has 3 connections? this is because it incorporates a fuel pressure regulator. Apparently there are two pressure variants and if you fit the wrong one it affects performance. The main agent and our local indy VAG garage both tell me it's considered a "for life" fitment and they don't change them unless there's a specific reason - like someone taking on a load of dirty fuel - However, from the look of it, I find it difficult to believe it's much different internally to any other fuel filter and so may suffer from degradation of the filter material with time and also the pressure regulator is probably little more than a spring loaded diaphragm? so probably subject to aging too? The fuel line connectors look as if it's intended for the filter to be periodically renewed too. I'm hanging back on doing it because it has plastic "squeeze type" connectors which I've been warned are difficult to release and easily broken. If you break them you can't just buy new connectors because they are a molded integral part of the pipe so you have to buy the entire fuel line at some "silly" price.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Correct guys, but I was talking about my Ibiza.
done it many times myself.. Working on many types of car it often get jumbled in my head. I been known for to think correctly but still write it wrong. I call it a senior moment.

Best ones are when you answer correctly but to the wrong thread 😀

Back