My new look car

Currently reading:
My new look car

what a funking shame(n)

that is just a typical crappy day, you have had all the work done, on the way home, and it blows in your face.

really hope the bumholes that are insurance co's dont' try and write it off, if it hadn't affected the roofline, I would have guessed it would have been OK, but the roof is really not replacable on a modern car (glued to roof struts which are the shell).

most garages drop the bonnet from a good height to ensure it snaps shut properly, but I know with my volvos that if I do that the bonnet will bounce back up a little and be open at one side, which if wind got under it could open it!

Hope the garage admits fault, although if your insurance have got anything to do with it, they will hammer your premium up:mad:

The wheels are gorgeous and I was about to stick this in MM but funk me that is the mother of all bad luck, I would be holding the garage responsible unless they have the sneaky bit of disclaimer paper hiding somewhere. I wouyld even consider getting solicitors (or should that be Lawyers?) involved.

Liam

Well at least it looks like liability is fairly clear.
Did you manage to stop OK? I saw a Coupe at MotorMech a few months ago which had been written off - the bonnet had popped up while the guy was in the outside lane of the motorway at 100mph. The bonnet flew up, wrapped around the roof, denting the roof and bending the A pillars, the headlamps were thrown through the sunroof and ended up on the back seat. Then there's the small matter of the guy being in the outside lane of the motorway at 100 mph unable to see anything :eek:
Glad you're OK though. :)
H

Trancendental said:
Should just make all bonnets open from the back (nearest the windscreen) my dads jag does... my Tipo don't :eek:

Had never thought of that. Maybe that is why some cars are designed like that to prevent this sort of thing. Makes the car a bummer to work on though.

Real shame about the car, if it was my car I would probably cry :cry:

I've got a couple of before pics up in my gallery. I'm hoping to get it looking like that again. https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14009&cat=500&ppuser=2721

I went to have a quick look between the roof trim and skin last night to see if I could get to the skin to push it out. When I opened the inner sunroof door bits of the sunroof fell out. :(

On the bright side though, as the sunroof itself is hanging down that means the roof is not pushed in as much as I thought. Looking to see if I can get the roof trim off this weekend to check if its worth getting Autoglass out to fit a new screen.

Fingers crossed.

sorry to hear about your disaster polecat:cry: , that sort of sh*t shouldn't happen to anyone:mad: , hope you get it sorted to your requirements rather then what any insurance/claim decides(y) the message for us all to learn at your expense is to make sure the safety catch on the bonnet is free moving to prevent this happening, i know mine was siezed when i got it so i soon got it freed off and greased to prevent your problems coming my way. every marea iv'e come across seems to have a siezed safety catch, probably to do with being plastic on a metal pivot pin, always prone to problems:( good luck mate (y) , chin up, if all else fails you know where to do a bit of arson(y) :D :D :D

dave said:
bonnets can still pop up even with full working second catch :(

My catch is broke so I have to pull lever AND bonnet all at the same time to open it, no way its coming up accidentally.

When my car battery ran out while the engine was running and I was outside the car and the car was locked I tried to break into the bonnet to disconnect the distributor so that I could switch off the engine to prevent it from over heating as the fan would not kick in with a flat battery... no such luck that bonnet was jammed shut (n) had to break in via the door which was tough as I have removed the door lock pins.

I missed this :eek: Sorry to hear about your bump just after you had had all that work done and had it looking fab. Here's hoping the garage pay up and you get it back in spotless condition ASAP. As others have found though, that can often be a long drawn out process :( Have you other transport in the meantime?

Helz said:
I missed this :eek: Sorry to hear about your bump just after you had had all that work done and had it looking fab. Here's hoping the garage pay up and you get it back in spotless condition ASAP. As others have found though, that can often be a long drawn out process :( Have you other transport in the meantime?

Thanks Helz, I'm walking a lot at the moment and fluttering my eyelashes at anyone who has a car at the moment. ;)

Trancendental said:
My catch is broke so I have to pull lever AND bonnet all at the same time to open it, no way its coming up accidentally.
I wouldn't be so sure of anything like that when you have a 100 mph wind coming in to it, plus vibrations...
H

Back