My new laptop :)

Currently reading:
My new laptop :)

Had the day off work yesterday and went up to London with the Mrs., on the spur of the moment. Found myself in Harrods (like you do) :D and saw this wee beastie.. they only came out on the market the day before. I'd been looking at the previous model (701), but they have been like hen's teeth in the UK. When the salesman said they had some in stock, out came the credit card :devil:

DSC00548.JPG

The keyboard is a little, ahem, cramped shall we say, but it is a proper computer and all for a touch over £300. I've been playing with it today and it does pretty much everything you need for basic web surfing/email/office duties. You probably wouldn't want to play games on it, but that's not really what it's aimed at.

When I travel for work I have a works laptop that I have to drag around with me, I could never be bothered to take my own laptop as well. The Asus will slip into the same bag as my works one and I doubt I'll even notice the extra weight (it's just under a kilo).

So far, so good! Now for some tinkering to lose the Noddy user interface and see what's underneath.. ;)

Cheers,

Plug

:worship::worship:

i like them, but at that price they're not worth it imo. i love ultra portable laptops. but for that kind of price you can get a little dell latitude

:yeahthat:

the pricing is silly. they cost £200-220 in most shops.

Last edited:
it looks that way, and they've priced themselves out. like i said further up, you can get a dell x300 (1.2ghz, 12.1" TFT etc) for £170, money much better spent there!

Asus are still selling the 700/701 model (with the smaller screen and - let's face it - not really enough storage). It's now finally available in quantity in the UK and is probably ideal as a kid's first computer - exactly the market it was aimed at. And for £200 ish, it's still a bit of a bargain even if it falls short in a few areas.

The 900 does come in a bit more expensive, and is competing with entry level "grown-up" laptops at its price point. But I wasn't really buying it instead of a laptop; I've already got one, an IBM R40e thinkpad - a few years old now, but still perfectly useable and not exactly huge by laptop standards. The sheer portability of the eee was its main selling point, and the fact that it's now got the bigger screen, more RAM and a decent portion of storage included tipped the balance for me. I wish the build quality was a match for my IBM (which it isn't, by a big margin), but it's built to a price, and I'm prepared to accept it as such.

Arc, I take your point about buying a second-hand or refurbished Dell for half the price, but that's not really comparing like with like. I had a delve around on Dell's website, and the absolute cheapest new laptop I could configure was this:

http://ecomm.euro.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&itemtype=CFG&oid=fe1bf4eb-d353-4a2e-8ab8-a94bc5112c5a

Spookily, by the time delivery and VAT are added, it comes to the same price as the eee. Build quality notwithstanding (I think the Dell will probably be much better nailed together), I'm still satisfied with my choice. The cut-down OS makes the most of the limited power of the eee, and I think that the Dell will really struggle with those specs; anyone buying one at that price won't use it for long before they wish they'd chucked a bit more money at it.

Horses for courses, and all that..

Cheers,

Plug

wondering what you can use it for yet?

i've figured it out. its for impressing geeks who arent geeky enough to know that they're crap.

Back