My new laptop :)

Currently reading:
My new laptop :)

Had the day off work yesterday and went up to London with the Mrs., on the spur of the moment. Found myself in Harrods (like you do) :D and saw this wee beastie.. they only came out on the market the day before. I'd been looking at the previous model (701), but they have been like hen's teeth in the UK. When the salesman said they had some in stock, out came the credit card :devil:

DSC00548.JPG

The keyboard is a little, ahem, cramped shall we say, but it is a proper computer and all for a touch over £300. I've been playing with it today and it does pretty much everything you need for basic web surfing/email/office duties. You probably wouldn't want to play games on it, but that's not really what it's aimed at.

When I travel for work I have a works laptop that I have to drag around with me, I could never be bothered to take my own laptop as well. The Asus will slip into the same bag as my works one and I doubt I'll even notice the extra weight (it's just under a kilo).

So far, so good! Now for some tinkering to lose the Noddy user interface and see what's underneath.. ;)

Cheers,

Plug

It's no powerhouse..

8.9" TFT, 900 MHz Celeron, 1 GB RAM, 20GB SSD, Linux.

But it's quick enough for web browsing, email, and the odd document, which is all I'll be using it for. The ability to do a bit of photo re-touching would be nice, hopefully I'll be able to stick GIMP on it (and maybe a couple of other open source programs).

Cheers,

Plug

any card slots built in? or a couple of USB 2.0s? or a pcmcia slot? looks like a handy little thing for going on holiday, uploading snaps at sthe end of the day. i miss the 10" sony vaio i used for that, if the HD got full, could burn onto an disc through a seperate portable drive

Edit; Has 3 USB, SD/MMC card slot. :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144442

it aint that one though is it, they've sorted the screen out on. doesnt have the silly bits round the edge. that was the only reason i didn't like them before. am tempted to buy one now. be useful for working on the ECU in the car. it looks a touch smaller than my current laptop. (eeepc 22.5 x 16.4 x 2.15~3.5 cm vs 2.57x27.2x22cm)

Back