General My new(ish) to me 1972 500F

Currently reading:
General My new(ish) to me 1972 500F

DonaldMHM

Hello there, thought i'd share a few photos of my car just to gauge others opinions and show it off a little as I think it's rather smart looking. Opinions very welcome on whether the red stripe should stay or go.

Attachments

• IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 219
Hi Donald, I'm a newbie here, not even got ours UK registered yet although not for the lack of trying!
Is this your first one?
Decided on a name yet?
Looks a nice example, as far as the red stripe, it's your baby, you decide!

Hi Donald. It is a smart-looking car and I think the red pinstrips really suit it; they "lift" it a little as I am in a minority of owners who doesn't usually prefer the lighter colours.
It seems unusual to have the matching black speedo and wheel in contrast with the the more common white. I have seen that in photos usually fitted to Giardinieras and possibly to the post 1973 500R's.
There have been a lot of new owners here lately; where are you?

Indeed it is my first. No name as I am not a fan of the naming 'thing' sadly...

Am interested to hear more about the possible odd steering wheel/speedo as there is a comprehensive history file that doesn't suggest there has been any change?

Based near to Goodwood.

Indeed it is my first. No name as I am not a fan of the naming 'thing' sadly...
Fiat 500s just have to have a name, usually Italian and often derived from the registration letters. It's not Italian but can I suggest "Yolanda"?:D:D:D

There are real experts lurking around here (come on BigVTwin:)) who will know more than me. But your car is obviously a very late manufactured "F" and it is possible that they started to use bits from forthcoming model changes.
Many cars have been mixed and matched over time but with a black MPH calibrated speedo and a wheel not taken from an "L", (which has a different style), I think your car is quite unusual.
It would be interesting to note the engine cc. as quoted on the reg.doc if the engine is original.

Hi and welcome, your car looks great, I think it could be an'R ' with F badge
, as the R was launched late in 72' had the round black speedo and your wheel, however I could be wrong. The R had the larger 594cc engine of the 126, but was deported to 18 bop, welcome to the car that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it!
Franco

Hi and welcome, your car looks great, I think it could be an'R ' with F badge
, as the R was launched late in 72' had the round black speedo and your wheel, however I could be wrong. The R had the larger 594cc engine of the 126, but was deported to 18 bop, welcome to the car that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it!
Franco

I'll second that Franco looks like an R to me as well, with a moustache badge of an F fitted. Nice looking 500 though. Welcome on board Donald.

Tony

Fiat 500s just have to have a name, usually Italian and often derived from the registration letters. It's not Italian but can I suggest "Yolanda"?:D:D:D

There are real experts lurking around here (come on BigVTwin:)) who will know more than me. But your car is obviously a very late manufactured "F" and it is possible that they started to use bits from forthcoming model changes.
Many cars have been mixed and matched over time but with a black MPH calibrated speedo and a wheel not taken from an "L", (which has a different style), I think your car is quite unusual.
It would be interesting to note the engine cc. as quoted on the reg.doc if the engine is original.

I think you are right Peter, and going by the rear cross member it looks like it's going to be fitted with the 499 engine not the 650.

Whatever model it is, the grille badge has been fitted at a later date.

Welcome to the forum Donald. As for your question on the red pin stripes, if they come off easily, personally I'd say remove them as the don't follow or complement the natural lines of the bodywork creases. :)

cheers, Steve

Interesting, didn't know there were so many variations. Engine is a 498cc and non-syncro gearbox.

Interesting, didn't know there were so many variations. Engine is a 498cc and non-syncro gearbox.
I think that you have a 500F that was built so late in production that the instruments were already being delivered to the factory in black.
I have known similar intermediate situations with other makes of car
Nice one!:)
PS. I'm not sure the "R" was avilable in the UK, (ie. RH drive) in any case.

Last edited:
Back