My mum ran over a dog :(

Currently reading:
My mum ran over a dog :(

soap_dodger

Not gay, ecstatic!
We were driving along, and I just saw something out of the corner of my eye. The next thing we heard squealing. My mum stopped. It was a dog. :(

It ran accross the road and I jumped out of the car and ran after it. My mum found the dog on the side of the road. :cry: It had passed away. :(

We wern't going fast we were doing 15 in a 30 zone. :(

She is really shook up and upset and so am I, we both love dogs. :(

We went and reported it at the Police station. :(

RIP little doggy. :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

J

dogs and cats are never pleasant things to hit.

sometimes you just can't do anything, they are left to wonder alone or they break out etc etc.

my dog walks off the lead but he behaves himself.

just think of it as a big pheasant or a grouse (see my other thread), they are so common to hit.

The advice from advanced driving instructors in this situation is to brake in a straight line but not so hard that you get rammed from behind. Do not swerve to miss the animal. the thinking here is to avoid losing control of the car which may then result in a human death. I imagine it must be pretty hard to do this in practice.

They also teach not to emergency stop for cats, only for dogs. So if a cat ever runs infront of you I dare you to not brake, its like sneezing with your eyes open (it just doesn't happen).

I hit a dog on tuesday (see my thread) but it survived. The bumper was wrecked and all the dog needed was 6 stitches but I still felt really gutted. The worst part was going to the bloke who's dog it was and asking him for money to sort my car as he was liable. The conversation followed something like "Sorry I nearly killed your dog but can I have a new bumper please"?

Just reassure your mom its not her fault. You get over it trust me.

The same for badgers, if you hit one you have to report it to the police.

I'm fairly sure its the same law for foxes too :chin:

We were driving along, and I just saw something out of the corner of my eye. The next thing we heard squealing. My mum stopped. It was a dog. :(

It ran accross the road and I jumped out of the car and ran after it. My mum found the dog on the side of the road. :cry: It had passed away. :(

We wern't going fast we were doing 15 in a 30 zone. :(

She is really shook up and upset and so am I, we both love dogs. :(

We went and reported it at the Police station. :(

RIP little doggy. :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

J

Hope you're OK Jammie

Last edited:
Back